Healthy and delicious, each one of these vegetarian lunch ideas are perfect for bringing into work or enjoying at home. Discover tons of easy veggie-forward recipe suggestions here—many are amazing for meal prep lunches, too
Thinking of healthy vegetarian lunch ideas can be one of the trickiest meals to plan for as a vegetarian. Because you can’t just take the ham off a ham cheese sandwich and call it a day (my inner nutritionist cringes when I see people eating plain cheese sandwiches!). And don’t get me started on the sad, lifeless cafeteria salads.
And, I mean, dinner? That’s easy. I could give you a million vegetarian dinner suggestions. But what do you do when you’re out of the house? On the go? Or need something quick and filling?
So today I’m sharing a few of my favorite vegetarian lunch ideas that are perfect for bringing to work or enjoying at home.
I’ve included a bunch of my favorite vegetarian lunch meal preps, along with some hearty salads and sandwiches. Moral of the story: you’ll be looking forward to your (meatless) lunch this week! Enjoy these recipes, or check out all of our healthy lunch recipes!
When it comes to meatless lunch ideas, sandwiches usually aren’t top of mind. Because how to you make a sandwich without deli meats? Here are a few ideas.
We love plant-based meal prep ideas around here. But what vegetarian meals are good for meal prep? Generally, any hardy veggie will stand up well to meal prep (think broccoli, squash, potatoes, and even zucchini). Avoid using tender leafy greens, like lettuce or spinach, which won’t last the week in the fridge (or even a night). Here are a few of our favorite vegetarian meal prep ideas!
Bowls & Salads
These bowls and salads are mostly light lunch ideas (that will still fill you up). There’s even a few vegetarian lunch ideas for kids in here (one word: nachos).
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g, rained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki 250g
- ¼ red onion cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- 1 to mato sliced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
- Assemble: Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!