Eggless French Toast
This vegan Eggless French Toast recipe is a delicious, mouth-watering vegan spin on the great breakfast classic. The secret? Nutritional yeast!
For someone who loves breakfast, there is entirely not enough breakfast on this blog (Update: There are now! Find even more vegetarian breakfast recipes here). So we’re going to change that. Right now. Starting with this oxymoron…Eggless French Toast. And it’s all made possible by nutritional yeast, transforming this simple mixture of milk, sugar, and spices into a savory alternative to this traditional egg dish.
This was the first recipe I ever made with nutritional yeast. And it also happened to be the first thing I cooked up last Saturday. Saturdays have become cooking days in the Sarah household, and the first dish of the day always seems to determine how well the rest of the day will go. Will it be a burn-it-til-ya-learn-it day? A lighting-for-photos-not-quite-right day? Or an everything-is-awesome-and-tastes-awesome day? Well I hate to give away the ending, but it was definitely an everything-is-awesome day.
Things this recipe is: easy, vegan, filling, sweet, savory, delicious
Things this recipe is not: bland, second tier to the classic, just for vegans
Ingredients for eggless French toast
- Dairy-Free Milk: You can use plain or flavored, almond or soy (or whatever you have on hand).
- Flour: Flour helps to thicken the “egg” mixture.
- Nutritional Yeast: The secret ingredient to this Eggless French Toast! Nutritional yeast adds savory, eggy flavor.
- Flavor Makers: Brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt help transform this humble mixture into a crave-worthy vegan breakfast.
- Bread: And of course, the bread. Stale bread is best, but use what you have!
How to make French toast without eggs
The secret to making French toast without eggs is in using nutritional yeast, which brings that distinctly eggy flavor (while being totally vegan). To make this Eggless French Toast, simply mix together the liquidy base, dip your bread in, then saute the bread until golden brown.
Eggless French Toast
- 1 cup vanilla soy or almond milk light or regular
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour white or wheat
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt just a dash
- 6 slices bread preferably stale
- Coat: In a medium-sized bowl, mix milk, flour, nutritional yeast, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Dip each slice of bread into mixture, flipping to ensure entire slice is covered.
- Cook: Place a large skillet over medium/low heat and lightly grease. Cook on each slice of toast for about 5 minutes total, flipping to cook each side until brown and slightly crisp.
- Serve: Serve immediately, topping with syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh fruit.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more