Eggless French Toast
This vegan Eggless French Toast recipe is a delicious, mouth-watering vegan spin on the great breakfast classic. The secret? Nutritional yeast!
For someone who loves breakfast, there is entirely not enough breakfast on this blog (Update: There are now! Find even more vegetarian breakfast recipes here). So we’re going to change that. Right now.
Starting with this oxymoron…Eggless French Toast. And it’s all made possible by nutritional yeast, transforming this simple mixture of milk, sugar, and spices into a savory alternative to this traditional egg dish.
This was the first recipe I ever made with nutritional yeast. And maybe that’s why I now have an enormous jar of it at the ready in my kitchen.
Because nutritional yeast can be so many things! It can be eggy, savory, cheesy deliciousness, perfect for sprinkling on savory things (like popcorn), or for adding depth of flavor to sweet things (like this French toast)!
Things this recipe is: easy, vegan, filling, sweet, savory, delicious
Things this recipe is not: bland, second tier to the classic, just for vegans
Ingredients for vegan French toast
- Dairy-Free Milk: You can use plain or flavored, almond or soy (or whatever you have on hand).
- Flour: Flour helps to thicken the “egg” mixture.
- Nutritional Yeast: The secret ingredient to this Eggless French Toast! Nutritional yeast adds savory, eggy flavor.
- Flavor Makers: Brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and salt help transform this humble mixture into a crave-worthy vegan breakfast.
- Bread: And of course, the bread. Stale bread is best, but use whatever bread you have on hand!
How to make French toast without eggs
The secret to making French toast without eggs is in using nutritional yeast, which brings that distinctly eggy flavor (while being totally vegan). We’ll combine the nutritional yeast with our other flavor makers and milk to create a batter in which to dip our bread!
Step 1: Coat the bread in batter
Dip you bread into the batter. Stale bread is best because it won’t become quite as mushy when you dip it in the batter (though I’ve used fresh bread with success as well).
You can also experiment with different types of breads! I used a basic sturdy white bread here, but thick slabs of sourdough or wheat bread work great.
Step 2: Cook the French toast
Then simply saute the bread until golden brown! While you can use cooking spray to grease the pan, I prefer to use a bit more fat (like oil or margarine) to give this vegan French toast a delicious and crispy exterior!
Step 3: Bon Appetit!
Serve up this vegan French toast with a slab of margarine, maple syrup, and/or powdered sugar (along with berries or any fresh fruit you have on hand). Enjoy!
Eggless French Toast
- 1 cup vanilla soy or almond milk 240 mL
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 slices bread preferably stale
- Coat: In a medium-sized bowl, mix milk, flour, nutritional yeast, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Dip each slice of bread into mixture, flipping to ensure entire slice is covered.
- Cook: Place a large skillet over medium heat and grease (with margarine or cooking spray). Cook each slice of toast for about 5 minutes total, flipping to cook each side until brown and slightly crisp.
- Serve: Serve immediately, topping with syrup, powdered sugar, or fresh fruit.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time.