These wholegrain honey-sweetened cranberry chewy granola bars are done in 30 minutes and don’t need to be baked! Just stir, press, chill, and cut.
Chewy granola bar recipe video
Guys, I LOVE MAKING THESE VIDEOS! The tulip-man and I made a cooking video last weekend and, well, we obsessed over every aspect of it; getting the shots, editing it, sharing it, doing everything to give our little video baby a shot at internet stardom.
But I was thinking there was no way I’d be able to handle shooting a video by myself. I mean there’s the filming and hand modeling and confident cutting (which, after the incident, I’m still lacking), not to mention actually cooking something.
But I had a little oomph in me yesterday so I went for it anyways. And I’m attributing that little oomph to the massive foodie inspiration I got the previous night at dinner.
Not just any dinner. My first time at a Michelin Star restaurant! We spent the night dining on 10 decadent courses at Niven, where they have an 80/20 concept. 80% vegetables, 20% meat and fish. Needless to say, they did some amazing things with vegetables. I’ll probably just do a whole post about it, seeing as how I did make the possibly-obnoxious point of photographing each course.
So yea, the next day I was super inspired. And maybe chocolate-dipped chewy granola bars won’t make the menu of Michelin Star restaurants anytime soon, but they’re delicious all the same.
These chewy granola bars nut-free, because I’m allergic and who needs nuts anyways?! They’re oven-free, because ain’t nobody got time for that. They’ve got bulgur, because that’s our spotlight ingredient this week. And they’re packed with cranberries and dark chocolate (no reasoning necessary there).
- 1 cup flake cereal 50 g, like Special K, can also use rice puffs
- ¾ cup rolled oats 70 g
- ⅔ cup packed dried cranberries 125 g
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes 30 g
- ⅓ cup fine/medium grind bulgur 75 g, can also use quinoa
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds 30 g, pepitas
- ¼ cup sunflower seed kernels 30 g
- ½ cup honey 118 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bar dark chocolate 200 g
- In a large bowl, combine cereal, oats, cranberries, coconut flakes, bulgur, and seeds.
- Combine honey and vanilla in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Boil, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Quickly stir hot honey into dry ingredients until well incorporated (you may need to use your hands!)
- Line an 11×7 inch (28×17 cm) rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or whatever sized dish you have!) Press granola mixture into pan, using the bottom of a clean cup to really pack it tightly. Set in refrigerator or freezer for 10 to 20 minutes to cool and harden.
- Melt chocolate in microwave or using the double boiler method (I recommend the double boiler, less likely to burn it!*)
- Get your granola and cut it into 8 (pretty big) to 12 (smaller) rectangles.
- Transfer chocolate to a shallow dish or plate. Dip the granola bars so that the top is covered with chocolate and the bottom is naked. Set on parchment paper and refrigerate a few minutes to harden.
Tips & Tricks
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge.
- You can also break some into chunks to sprinkle over breakfast cereal or yogurt.
- *Double boiler method: Bring a small saucepan of water to a simmer. Place chocolate in a large metal or glass bowl, and set bowl over the simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted (about 3 minutes).
Leave a Comment