Vibrant veggies and homemade dressings create the base for these filling plant-based salads! From classic leafy greens to grains, beans, and warm salads, these are our favorite hearty vegetarian salad recipes.
Sometimes you just need a salad. A big one that fills you up and makes you feel all vibrant and healthy inside.
And while you can throw whatever ingredients you have in the fridge in a bowl, top it with dressing, and call it a salad (🙋🏼♀️), the best salads have a plan.
Which isn’t to say these salads are difficult to make. They’re all actually pretty easy! The general steps to take when making a killer vegetarian salad are:
- Base greens: We love spinach around here, but you can use all sorts of leafy greens, like romaine, arugula, iceberg, or kale.
- Grains: Adding a healthy grain to your vegetarian salad makes it more filling and meal-worthy. Quinoa, wild rice, farro, bulgur, and couscous are all great in salads.
- Protein: Eggs, legumes (like black beans or chickpeas), crispy tofu, or tempeh are great ways to pack protein into a vegetarian salad.
- Extras: Go Mediterranean with bell pepper and feta. Or make it Italian with tomatoes and olives. Or clean out the fridge and throw on whatever veggies you have! This is where you can set the overall flavor profile of your salad.
- Make it crunch: Adding a bit of crunch makes salad feel like more of a satisfying meal. Homemade croutons are our favorite, but you can also use chopped nuts, seeds, or tortilla chips.
- Dress it up: Wrap it all up in your favorite salad dressing! We love this Blueberry Balsamic and this Homemade Ranch.