Have a can of chickpeas you need to use? Here are 21 of our favorite vegetarian chickpea recipes, from dinners to desserts!
We love chickpeas around here. Because as far as pantry foods go, I can always count on a can of chickpeas when I need a fast, delicious dinner (and chickpeas are healthy too!).
So what should you make when you have a can of chickpeas burning a hole in your cupboard? We usually do one of three things with them:
- Roast them with spices for snacking on, stuffing into sandwiches, or using as a soup/salad topper.
- Use them fresh from the can for adding protein to salads, soups, or curries.
- Mash them into a hummus or dip for spreading onto sandwiches or dipping veggies into.
But in case you’re in need of more inspiration, here are 21 of our favorite vegetarian recipes to use up a can of chickpeas. Enjoy!
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki
- ¼ red onion cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tomato sliced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
- Assemble: Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!