This Pomegranate Avocado Toast is a simple breakfast or brunch that’s packed with roasted garlic, zingy pomegranate arils, and creamy mozzarella!
Am I super behind on the avocado toast movement? Because it seems like I’m super behind on the avocado toast movement. But it also seems like a movement as tasty as that of avocado toast doesn’t just wither away into the vault of once-were food fads like coconut water and cayenne pepper lemonade. No, I think avocado toast is here to stay for a bit.
If you follow me on Instagram, you saw that I actually whipped this up last week. I knew this week was going to be jam-packed with excitement so I tried to get a little ahead. And boy was it jam-packed!
There was visiting grandpa in Georgia (why do I always think 5 am flights are a good idea when I book them?), finally stopping by Big Lou’s (home to the stupid big, 5 feet wide pizza), and taking full advantage of all the Veteran’s Day freebies around town.
And that’s without mentioning (though I guess this counts as mentioning?) all the prep that’s going into the big move (learn Dutch, sell everything I own, uproot life etc). Golly gee.
And you know what’s needed at the end of a long week? Avocado toast! This one incorporates in roasted garlic (the best flavor known to man), buffalo mozzarella, and, in the spirit of the great pomegranate exploration, pomegranate.
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil 5 mL
- 2 large slices of whole grain bread
- 4 ¼ inch slices buffalo mozzarella
- 1 avocado thinly slices
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds handful
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Cut about ½ inch (1 cm) off the top of the bulb of garlic to expose the tops of the cloves. Gently peel off excess papery skin, leaving on the skins of the individual cloves
- Pour olive oil into the bulb then wrap bulb in aluminum foil.
- Set foil-wrapped bulb directly onto oven rack and roast at 400 degrees F (200 C) for 30 to 40 minutes, until cloves are soft. Allow to cool slightly before handling. (Leave oven on, we’ll need it again!)
- Lightly toast bread in toaster.
- Use a garlic press to mash (or simply smash with fingers) 2 to 4 cloves of the roasted garlic and spread evenly onto the 2 pieces of toast (add more garlic if you’re a garlic fiend like me!)
- Top each piece of toast with 2 slices of mozzarella. Set on a baking sheet and place in the oven for a minute of two, just until cheese is melty.
- Quick! Layer on avocado slices and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds before the cheese cools and hardens. Top with a dash of ground pepper.