Feed your body all the greens with this hearty vegetarian sandwich idea! This tasty avocado sandwich takes just 15 minutes to make and it’s filled with ripe avocado, thin slices of cucumber, goat cheese, pesto, alfalfa sprouts, and arugula. Easy, filling, and quick to assemble!
A greener sandwich couldn’t exist if it tried. Well, I guess unless the bread was green too.
Today, we are packing on the greens and creating a powerhouse of a meal with this healthy avocado sandwich. Loaded up with half of everyone’s favorite veggie (heart-healthy avocado), this sandwich also features cucumbers, sprouts, arugula, pesto, and savory goat cheese. A nutritionists dream!
Stack all of those ingredients up on two thick slices of bread, and you’re in for a meal that’s both filling and nutrient-dense (it’s like our healthy avocado toast, but for lunch!)
Ingredients in this avocado sandwich
We’re making this vegetarian sandwich with plenty of avocado, but that’s not all. Did you know arugula is considered a powerhouse vegetable? This means it has an exceptionally dense nutrient makeup. Sprouts are an incredibly healthy food as well! By adding these veggies (plus cucumbers and pesto), we’re packing in the flavor, but also the vitamins and minerals.
- Bread: First up, you’ll need 2 slices of bread. What is the healthiest bread for sandwiches? I love to use Dave’s Killer Bread for hearty sandwiches that are packed with nutrients and fiber.
- Cheese: Next, include 2 tablespoons of soft goat cheese. Soft goat cheese spreads easily (a bit like cream cheese) and tastes delicious with the veggies.
- Pesto: Next, you’ll need 1 tablespoon of pesto for extra flavor. Homemade pesto is best!
- Sprouts: First up for the veggies are ¼ cup of alfalfa sprouts. Alfalfa sprouts are so nutritious, packed with vitamins and minerals! Feeling ambitious? Why not sprout your own?!
- Cucumber: Follow the sprouts with ¼ of a cucumber, cut into very thin slices. With this amount of cuc, you might even call it a cucumber sandwich with a side of avocado! So much refreshment.
- Avocado: Add ½ of an avocado, also cut into thin slices.
- Arugula: Finish off the sandwich with ½ cup of arugula.
How To Cut Avocado
Wondering how to cut an avocado for a sandwich? Cut the avocado using our avocado cutting guide, then slice them real thin for easier stacking! Avocados are a good source of healthy fats, so load up!
How to make an avocado sandwich
These sandwiches are easy to assemble, and they stay together pretty well as long as you use thinly sliced veggies! Load the slices with lots of pesto and goat cheese for maximum flavor. The whole shebang should take no more than 15 minutes!
Step 1: Start with the sauces
Spread goat cheese and pesto onto one side of each slice of bread. This will act as our glue, holding everything in the sandwich.
Step 2: Add the veggies
Onto one of the slices, pile the sprouts, cucumber, avocado, and arugula. Not sure how to cut an avocado into pretty slices? Here’s our guide to cutting avocado!
Step 3: Assemble and serve
Top with the other slice of bread and secure with a toothpick. Serve immediately.
Avocado sandwich variations
You can switch up this veggie sandwich in a few ways.
Cheese: Replace this goat cheese with cream cheese if preferred. Cream cheese will give a slightly different flavor, but it has that same consistency that lends itself well to a crunchy sandwich.
Greens: Swap arugula with any leafy green, like spinach and kale. You can also keep the arugula, and use a mix of greens!
Cucumber: Replace the cucumber with an english cucumber if preferred. This will eliminate the seeds from your sandwich!
Go Greek: Add flavors of the Mediterranean by adding sliced kalamata olives, roasted red bell pepper, and balsamic reduction.
More Sandwich recipes
A thick, hearty, savory vegetarian sandwich is always a good idea. Here are some more sandwich recipes that are sure to fill your midday belly and leave you feeling content until dinner time!
- 2 slices good bread I love Dave’s Killer Bread for hearty sandwiches
- 2 Tbsp soft goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- ¼ cup alfalfa spouts
- ¼ cucumber thinly sliced
- ½ avocado thinly sliced
- ½ cup arugula
- Sauces: Spread goat cheese and pesto onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Veggies: Onto on of the slices, pile on the sprouts, cucumber, avocado, and arugula.
- Serve: Top with the other slice and secure with a toothpick.Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment