Give your body all of the greens with this Avocado Sandwich. It’s made with cucumbers, sprouts, pesto, and goat cheese for maximum flavor and heartiness.
A greener sandwich couldn’t exist if it tried. Well, I guess unless the bread was green too.
Today, we are packing on the greens and creating a powerhouse of a meal with this avocado sandwich. Loaded up with half of everyone’s favorite veggie (avocado), this sandwich also features cucumbers, sprouts, arugula, pesto, and savory goat cheese.
Load all of those ingredients up on two thick slices of bread, and you’re in for a meal that’s both filling and nutrient-dense!
Ingredients in this avocado sandwich
We’re making this sandwich with plenty of avocado, but that’s not all. Did you know arugula is considered a powerhouse vegetable? This means it has an exceptionally dense nutrient makeup. Sprouts are an incredibly healthy food as well! By adding these veggies (plus cucumbers and pesto), we’re packing in the flavor, but also the vitamins and minerals.
- Bread: First up, you’ll need 2 slices of bread. I love to use Dave’s Killer Bread for hearty sandwiches.
- Cheese: Next, include 2 tablespoons of soft goat cheese. Soft goat cheese spreads easily (a bit like cream cheese) and tastes delicious with the veggies.
- Pesto: Next, you’ll need 1 tablespoon of pesto for extra flavor. Make your own pesto with this recipe!
- Sprouts: First up for the veggies are ¼ cup of alfalfa sprouts. Feeling ambitious? Why not sprout your own?!
- Cucumber: Follow the sprouts with ¼ of a cucumber, cut into very thin slices.
- Avocado: Add ½ of an avocado, also cut into thin slices.
- Arugula: Finish off the sandwich with ½ cup of arugula.
How to make an avocado sandwich
These sandwiches are easy to assemble, and they stay together pretty well as long as you use thinly sliced veggies! Load the slices with lots of pesto and goat cheese for maximum flavor. The whole shebang should take no more than 15 minutes!
Step 1: Start with the sauces
Spread goat cheese and pesto onto one side of each slice of bread. This will act as our glue, holding everything in the sandwich.
Step 2: Add the veggies
Onto one of the slices, pile the sprouts, cucumber, avocado, and arugula.
Step 3: Assemble and serve
Top with the other slice of bread and secure with a toothpick. Serve immediately.
Avocado sandwich variations
You can switch up this veggie sandwich in a few ways. First, you can replace this goat cheese with cream cheese if preferred. Cream cheese will give a slightly different flavor, but it has that same consistency that lends itself well to a crunchy sandwich.
Next, you can swap arugula with any leafy green, like spinach and kale. You can also keep the arugula, and use a mix of greens!
Finally, you can replace the cucumber with an english cucumber if preferred. This will eliminate the seeds from your sandwich!
More Sandwich recipes
A thick, hearty, savory vegetarian sandwich is always a good idea. Here are some more sandwich recipes that are sure to fill your midday belly and leave you feeling content until dinner time!
- 2 slices good bread I love Dave’s Killer Bread for hearty sandwiches
- 2 Tbsp soft goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp pesto
- ¼ cup alfalfa spouts
- ¼ cucumber thinly sliced
- ½ avocado thinly sliced
- ½ cup arugula
- Sauces: Spread goat cheese and pesto onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Veggies: Onto on of the slices, pile on the sprouts, cucumber, avocado, and arugula.
- Serve: Top with the other slice and secure with a toothpick.Serve immediately.