Asian Carrot Noodles
Quick and healthy Asian carrot noodles with a delicious combination of hoisin, soy, orange juice, and ginger! A unique and delicious low carb dinner.
You know earlier this week when I was introducing carrots how I mentioned, in a roundabout sorta way, that the goal this week is to pretty much make carrots not taste like carrots? Because I really don’t like carrots?
Well I’ve gone n’ done it. These carrots are so much more than the bitter, crunchy root they were destined to be. And it’s all thanks to some very magical sauces and flavors.
Ingredients for these carrot noodles
- Sesame Oil: This has always been on my “should probably learn something about” list, so I finally gave it a go. It’s a flavorful oil, almost nutty, and goes really well with the heap of other Asian flavors in this recipe.
- Hoisin Sauce: By far the most magical ingredient. This pungent blend of soy, chile, garlic, sugar and sometimes vinegar or garlic brings a big Chinese punch of flavor.
- Soy Sauce: Something needs to bring the umami to these carrots, and soy sauce is it.
- Orange Juice: Just a dash does sweet citrus wonders!
- Ginger: Fresh grated ginger moderates the hoisin sauce a bit and is just that missing piece of the puzzle.
How to spiralize carrots
You’ll need either a vegetable spiralizer or a julienne peeler to get the distinct noodle cuts. Throw some carrots into a pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds to soften them up a bit. Let them cool just enough to handle, and spiralize away! Got a friend with strong forearms? Find them, use them. The constant pressure you need to maintain to get the long noodles takes a toll!
You’ve got your carrot noodles and your flavor makers. Stir fry it all together and you’re ready to eat. These Asian-inspired carrot noodles are great served with pan-fried tofu, roasted chickpeas, or stir fried veggies!
More spiralized veggie recipes to try
Asian Carrot Noodles
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 6 large carrots trimmed
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Glaze: In a small bowl mix hoisin, soy, orange juice, and ginger.
- Parboil: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add carrots to soften them slightly, about 30 seconds. Remove from water and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Spiralize: Place fat end of carrot into the spiralizer, using the largest noodle cut size your spiralizer has. Spin spin spin away until you get about 3 inches from the bottom (too hard to get that last bit, don’t try!)
- Cook: Heat sesame oil in a large saute pan or a wok over medium heat. Add carrot noodles and cook about 3 minutes, stirring and flipping it all about like the true chef you are. Add in the sauce mixture and continue to cook another 3 minutes or so minutes, stirring to blend everything together. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot!
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more