These Vegan Burritos have it all: easy tempeh taco meat, smoky queso cheese sauce, and Chipotle copycat cauliflower rice!
There’s a bit of tension in our house, in that I ❤️ Mexican / Texmex food, but the tulip-man is just kind of *meh* about it. So in my quest to convert him, I’ve been bringing out the big guns. And the most recent tactic were these mega vegan burritos! They’re packed with so much flavor while being secretly healthy (and even more secretly vegan).
Here’s what’s in these vegan burritos
- Tempeh taco meat: Grated tempeh sautéed with a blend of taco spices has the perfect texture and flavor! Find the recipe here (we’ll use the full recipe for these burritos).
- Chipotle copycat cauliflower rice: It’s like the rice from Chipotle, herby and delicious (except it’s cauliflower)! Find the recipe here (again, use the whole recipe to fill these burritos).
- Best ever cashew queso: Cashews make the creamy base for this liquid gold of a sauce, along with nutritional yeast, jalapeno, and spices for flavor.
- The usual suspects: And of course, your favorite burrito fillings…avocado, bell pepper, chopped romaine lettuce, whatever suits your fancy!
- 1 cup cashews soaked, 150 g
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup water 240 mL
- 1/4 tsp each chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt
- Queso: Soak cashews in water overnight (or in very hot water for 1 hour). Add carrot and a few tablespoons of water to a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave until fork tender, about 4 minutes. Drain water. Blend all queso ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Taco Meat: Make Tempeh Taco Meat – recipe here (15 minutes).
- Rice: Make cauliflower rice – recipe here (15 minutes).
- Assemble: Stuff tortillas with queso, taco meat, rice, and veggies. Roll and serve!