Fill your belly with this Vegan Beef Stew, a hearty, savory meal made with loads of veggies, red wine, seasonings galore, and vegan “beef”!
The days may be getting warmer (who doesn’t love those warm day teasers in the late winter?), but that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy a hearty, warm stew served right off the stove!
This vegan beef stew encompasses everything dreamy about a veggie-filled meal. It features loads of potatoes, carrots, and flavorings, and is made complete with Gardein Beefless Tips – plant-based “beef” pieces that take this dish up a notch!
This vegan beef stew stores well and is great for meal prepping for the week ahead. Plus, it’s ready in only 30 minutes, making it a relatively quick dish to prepare. Here’s how it’s done!
Here’s what you’ll Need
In making vegan beef stew, the magic is in all of the flavorings. After adding the veggies, “beef,” and potatoes, we’ll be including rosemary, thyme, garlic, and additional optional enhancers for a hearty stew that’s both filling and delicious.
- “Beef”: Sometimes shortcuts are just the best way! We’ll be using 2 9-oz bags of Gardein Beefless Tips as the “beef” in this stew.
- Flavor Veggies: Dice up a red onion, 3 ribs of celery, 3 carrots, and 3 cloves of garlic. These will provide a flavorful base to our stew!
- Flour: Next, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour will be used to thicken the stew.
- Broth: 6 cups of veggie broth will add the liquid component. For an even beefier flavor, use the Better Than Bouillon No Beef Base.
- Red Wine: Next, include 1 cup of red wine. A dry blend is best!
- Potatoes: To add a bit of heartiness, chop 4 Yukon gold potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Flavor Enhancers: Tomato paste adds umami, while thyme and rosemary add much needed herby elements to the mix. You can also throw in optional flavor enhancers, like a dash of marmite and/or liquid smoke.
- Peas: Brighten it up with 1 cup of frozen peas at the very end.
How to make beefless stew
Your beef stew recipe will be ready in only four simple steps. Begin by cooking the Gardein tips, and then heat the veggies! From there, add the rest of the ingredients as directed until your stew begins to form.
Step 1: Cook the beefless tips
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the beefless tips, cooking until they turn golden brown around the outsides, about 10 minutes.
Step 2: Heat the veggies
While the “beef” cooks, heat the remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, cooking until the onion turns translucent and the veggies are vibrantly colored, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Create the stew
Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to evenly coat them. Slowly pour in the broth, stirring as you add it, and then add the wine. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer – this should slightly thicken the stew. Add the potatoes, tomato paste, and herbs. Cover and let simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
Step 4: Add the rest
Stir in the cooked “beef”, peas and optional flavor enhancers. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm with love!
Storing Vegan Beef Stew
This stew stores amazingly, which means one thing – it’s great for creating a double batch and saving some for later (hellooooo meal prep)! It can be stored in the fridge (up to 5 days) or freezer (2 to 3 months).
Try These Soups Next!
Don’t let winter pass you by without sneaking these soups into your meal rotation. All are hearty, flavorful, and delicious!
- Korean Kimchi Soup
- Pumpkin Soup with Smoky Roasted Chickpeas
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Acorn Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided, 30 mL
- 2 9-oz bags Gardein Beefless Tips
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 medium ribs celery sliced
- 3 medium carrots halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour 30 g
- 6 cups vegetable broth* 1.4 L
- 1 cup dry red wine 236 mL
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes about 1 lb, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste 20 g
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas 170 g
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional flavor enhancers: dash of marmite and/or liquid smoke
- Beef: Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Add the beefless tips, cooking until they turn golden brown around the outsides, about 10 minutes.
- Veggies: Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add diced onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, cooking until onion turns translucent and veggies are vibrantly colored, about 5 minutes.
- Stew-ify: Sprinkle flour over the veggies and stir to evenly coat them. Slowly pour in the broth, stirring as you add it, then add in the wine. Increase heat and bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Add potatoes, tomato paste, and herbs. Cover and let simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Finish: Stir in the cooked "beef", peas and optional flavor enhancers. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve warm with love!