Need some new vegetarian sandwich inspiration? Dive into this vegetarian Seitan Reuben Sandwich, complete with Swiss cheese, thousand islands dressing, and sauerkraut!
There’s nothing quite like a thick, melty, loaded sandwich complete with your favorite cheese. That’s exactly what this Seitan Reuben Sandwich is – a hearty, savory sandwich pressed to golden brown perfection.
This is the perfect sandwich for satisfying midday hunger or whipping up as a quick and easy dinner. It’s made with only 6 ingredients and features my very own homemade Seitan Corned Beef!
Pair that with Swiss cheese, thick sourdough (or rye) bread, and some sauerkraut, and wow. Talk about flavor overload (in the best way possible)!
Ingredients in A Vegetarian reuben
This vegetarian seitan sandwich is complete with only 6 items. You can use your favorite bread and cheese, but I definitely recommend rye/sourdough and Swiss! Complete the ‘wich with thousand islands dressing for even more flavor. YUM.
- Bread: First up, you will need 2 pieces of either rye or sourdough bread. The thickness and texture of these types of bread make them great for hot sandwich making — they don’t get as soggy!
- Butter: Next, you will need a pat of unsalted butter for spreading on the outside bread to achieve that golden crispy crust.
- Dressing: For the sauce, use 2-4 tablespoons of thousand islands dressing (depending on how much you like the stuff!)
- Cheese: Next up, 2 slices of Swiss cheese. Provolone would also work well here if that’s what you have on hand.
- Seitan: You will need 2-4 slices of your very own homemade Seitan Corned Beef.
- Sauerkraut: Last but not least, finish things off with ¼ cup of sauerkraut!
How to make a vegetarian reuben sandwich
Grab your seitan corned beef and Swiss cheese, because it’s time to dive into making this reuben! We’ll start by prepping the bread, then we’ll assemble and cook. Oh, and don’t forget a side pickle spear!
Step 1: Prep the bread
Spread the butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
Step 2: Assemble the reuben
Onto the other side of the breads, spread thousand islands dressing. Layer on half of the cheese, Seitan Corned Beef, sauerkraut, and then the remaining cheese.
Step 3: Cook the sandwich
Cook over medium heat in a large skillet or panini press until the outsides of the bread are golden brown and the cheese has melted. Alternatively, you can set the oven to broil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Here are some quick tips for switching things up and customizing your reuben to perfection!
- Add veggies: You can’t go wrong here. Add anything you’d like! Ideas include onions, pickle chips, peppers, and even a tomato slice.
- Swap the cheese: Swiss is classic, but pepper jack, cheddar, or provolone will work magically.
- Don’t underestimate seasonings: Garlic, chili pepper flakes, and even oregano can go a long way in adding extra flavor!
More yummy seitan dishes
The texture of seitan makes it great for including in many types of dishes. Try it in your next burger or on your next homemade pizza for a great serving of protein and other healthy nutrients!
- 2 pieces bread rye or sourdough
- 1 tsp unsalted butter 5 g
- 2 to 4 Tbsp thousand islands dressing 30 to 40 g
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 to 4 slices Seitan Corned Beef
- ¼ cup sauerkraut 30 g
- Bread: Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Assemble: Onto the other side of the breads, spread thousand islands dressing. Layer on half of the cheese, the Seitan Corned Beef, the sauerkraut, and the remaining cheese.
- Cook: Cook over medium heat in a large skillet or panini press until outsides are golden brown and cheese has melted. Alternatively, set the oven to broil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.