Sweet Potato & Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Skillet
This Sweet Potato and Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Skillet is a veggie-packed, delicious, and filling breakfast that comes together in less than 30 minutes!
Me and this breakfast skillet go way back. Back to when the tulip-man and I were first testing out the 21 Day Vegetarian Reset and found ourselves with some of the weirdest food cravings (hey, that’s why we had to test it first!) This vegetable-filled breakfast skillet was the happy result.
And as it turns out, the craving for this skillet never really went away. Because it just has so much deliciousness going on. There’s the colorful veggies, the savory quinoa (cooked in broth, yum!), and of course the eggs on top.
Plus, it’s just ridiculously easy. Throw everything in a skillet, let it simmer away on the stove, devour. Let’s cook!
Ingredients for this veggie breakfast skillet
- Sweet Potato: I love using sweet potato here, but you could also use butternut squash or regular potatoes.
- Red Onion and Garlic: It’s not a proper veggie skillet without the flavor foundations!
- Red Bell Pepper: I use red pepper for the color, but you can throw in any color you have.
- Spinach: This powerhouse leafy green supercharges your skillet without overpowering.
- Quinoa: After the veggies have cooked until a bit soft, we’ll add quinoa and cook it in veggie broth until fluffy.
- Vegetable Broth: Aim for a low sodium broth or bouillon here.
- Eggs: Top it off with a few flat fried eggs and serve!
How to make a veggie breakfast skillet
The idea is simple: saute a bunch of veggies in a skillet and serve with an egg on top. But let’s supercharge it. Here’s how we’re making out breakfast skillet:
Step 1: Cook veggies until the sweet potatoes are a bit soft, but not cooked through.
Step 2: Add spinach and cook it down until it has shriveled as small as it will go.
Step 3: Add quinoa and stir to evenly disperse it with the veggies.
Step 4: Add broth and cover, cooking until the broth is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy
Step 5: Top with an egg, flat fried or however you like ’em!
The combination of vegetables and protein in this vegetable breakfast skillet make it so filling (and fueling) for jumpstarting your day. I think you’re going to love it!
Sweet Potato and Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Skillet
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 sweet potato diced
- ½ red onion diced, about ½ cup
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa 100 g
- 1 cup vegetable broth 236 mL
- 4 eggs cooked however you like them
- Veggies: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper, and garlic, tossing to coat. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes are a little soft (but not cooked through).
- Spinach: Add spinach, stir, and cook until wilted down, just a minute or two.
- Quinoa: Stir in quinoa, pour in broth, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked. If there is excess broth in the pan at the end, let the skillet cook uncovered to evaporate moisture.
- Eggs: Meanwhile, cook eggs however you like them!
- Serve: Serve veggie skillet topped with eggs and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.