Sweet Potato Cookies
Need a healthy cookie recipe that’s just as moist and delicious as your old favorites? This Sweet Potato Cookies recipe with chocolate and oats has you covered.
It’s here, guys! The first recipe from the new kitchen! Tulip-man had the grand idea of switching all the appliance settings to Dutch so that I could learn to speak Dutch faster, which only resulted in me almost exploding our combination oven/microwave (hint: only some metals can go in it). I promptly switched everything to English and was off to the races. First order of business? Cookies. Sweet Potato Cookies.
If pumpkin is the star ingredient of October, then sweet potato should be the star for the rest of the holiday season. It’s ultra flexible, fitting with both sweet and savory dishes, and is killer in baked goods. Why? Its natural sweetness means you need less sugar while its texture makes your recipe ultra-moist. So today we’re mashing up some sweet potatoes and throwing them in these Sweet Potato Cookies!
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Cookies
This Sweet Potato Cookie recipe has the usual cookie ingredients (you know, the flour and baking soda and all that jazz), but there are a few ingredients that make them so delicious!
- Sweet Potatoes: We’ll boil these until soft, then mash and mix into our cookie dough! You could also use butternut squash here.
- Rolled Oats: Surprise! These cookies are laced with fiber-filled rolled oats.
- Spices: Any good sweet potato recipes should also have a heavy handed spoonful of seasonal spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ground ginger!
Sweet Potato Cookies
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 240 g
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats 130 g
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp each ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1 stick, 112 g
- ½ cup brown sugar 110 g
- ½ cup white sugar 110 g
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips or chunks 250 g
- Mash Potatoes: Peel and chop sweet potatoes into chunks. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add sweet potatoes, cooking for about 15 minutes, until fork tender. Drain water and mash potatoes, then set aside to cool some.
- Dries: In a medium bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- Wets: Combine butter and sugars until smooth, then add egg and vanilla. Once sweet potato has cooled off a bit (should be warm, not hot) add it to the sugar mixture.
- Dries + Wets: Stir flour mix into sweet potato mix, then fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Scoop dough onto a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until slightly crisp on the outside (do not overbake! They may look soft in the center; that’s perfect!) Let cool on the pan for 20 minutes before transferring to a container.
This recipe first appeared on Amanda’s Cookin‘, where I’m a contributor.