Looking for a quick, protein-packed pick-me-up, you’re in the right place. This 5-ingredient protein smoothie recipe is a game-changer. No fuss, no added sugars, just pure, wholesome goodness. Packed with 46 grams of protein per serving, it’s a delicious and nutritious way to fuel your day.
But the thing is, smoothies often lack protein which is such an important part of starting your day!
I’ll put on my nutritionist hat for a second and explain. Getting protein into your diet in the morning helps with:
- Sustained Energy: Protein takes longer to digest compared to carbohydrates. This means it provides a steady release of energy, helping you stay alert and focused throughout the morning.
- Muscle Repair and Growth: Overnight, your body undergoes a period of fasting. Protein helps kickstart muscle repair and growth processes, especially if you engage in physical activities.
- Appetite Control: Protein-rich foods promote a feeling of fullness and satisfaction, reducing the likelihood of overeating later in the day.
And you can get ALL of that in the form of this 5 minutes smoothie. Let’s blend!
Protein Smoothie Ingredients
You’ll just need 5 ingredient for this protein-packed smoothie.
- Frozen Mixed Berries: These are packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber. They contribute a burst of fruity flavor and vibrant color to the smoothie, as well as a refreshing and tangy taste. I love using frozen berries because they’re often more affordable and add a nice frosty texture to the smoothie.
- Milk: Milk provides a creamy base for the smoothie and adds a dose of calcium, protein, and other essential nutrients. You can choose from dairy or plant-based options depending on your dietary preferences.
- Banana: Bananas add natural sweetness, creaminess, and thickness to the smoothie. Freezing them ahead of time enhances the texture, making the smoothie frosty and refreshing.
- Vanilla Protein Powder: This ingredient boosts the protein content significantly. It’s especially useful for those looking to increase their protein intake for muscle recovery and growth. The vanilla flavor also complements the fruity notes.
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt is a protein powerhouse, contributing to the smoothie’s protein content. It’s creamy, tangy, and adds a luxurious texture to the smoothie. The vanilla flavor enhances the overall taste. (Make your own Greek yogurt with this recipe!)
How to make A Protein Smoothie
Alright follow closely so you don’t get lost. You ready?
As with most smoothies, making this protein smoothie is so so easy!
This is the blender I use and adore!
Meal Prep This Smoothie
We always recommend to enjoy the smoothie right after blending, because otherwise the frozen berries will thaw and the smoothie will become a bit thinner.
But to prep this smoothie in advance, you throw all of the ingredients except for the milk in a baggie and freeze it. When you’re ready to have your smoothie, empty the contents of the baggie into a smoothie, add milk, and blend!
These variations allow you to personalize your smoothie to your liking while still benefiting from a protein-packed and nutritious breakfast or snack.
- Green Protein Boost: Add a handful of fresh spinach or kale for added vitamins and minerals without significantly altering the flavor. You can also use a scoop of green superfood powder for an extra nutritional punch.
- Nut Butter Bliss: Enhance the creaminess and protein content by adding a tablespoon of almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter. This also provides healthy fats.
- Chia or Flax Seeds: Boost the fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids by incorporating a teaspoon of chia seeds or ground flax seeds.
- Fruit Variety: Experiment with different frozen fruits like mango, pineapple, or peaches to change the flavor profile.
- Toppings Galore: Top your smoothie with toppings like granola, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or fresh berries for added texture and flavor.
- Hydration Hack: For a hydrating twist, substitute coconut water for regular milk to give your smoothie a tropical flair.
These recipes pack a punch
Hungry for more high protein recipes? We love these (and you can check out all of our high protein recipes here).
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries 190 g
- 1 cup milk 236 mL
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup vanilla Greek yogurt 120 g
- Blend: Blend all ingredients until smooth. Serve immediately! (For smoothie booster ideas, see notes.)