With just 3 simple ingredients, this is the easy spinach smoothie recipe I make every morning! Customizable, nutritious, and delicious.
I have no idea why it took me so long to publish this recipe here on the site. Because the thing is, I make this smoothie almost every morning. Like of all my smoothie recipes, I make this one the most by far.
Introducing my everyday spinach smoothie recipe, a refreshing and nourishing way to kickstart your day! Packed with vibrant greens and natural sweetness, this simple recipe is designed to provide a quick and convenient boost of energy and nutrients.
Add in protein powder for an extra protein boost, incorporate flax seeds or chia seeds for added fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, or include a green superfood powder to enhance the nutrient profile even more. Simple, versatile, and packed with health benefits, this quick 3-ingredient spinach smoothie is the perfect way to start your day off right. Let’s blend!
Spinach Smoothie Ingredients
We’re keeping the ingredients list real short here, but I usually throw in nutrition boosters that I have on hand!
- Fresh Spinach: The star ingredient of this smoothie, fresh spinach adds a vibrant green color and a wealth of nutrients. Spinach is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making it an excellent choice for boosting overall health. (For a frostier smoothie, freeze your spinach first!)
- Frozen Banana: Frozen banana adds a natural sweetness and creamy texture to the smoothie. It also helps to chill the smoothie without the need for ice cubes. Choose ripe bananas, chop them into pieces, and freeze them in advance for a convenient addition to your smoothie. (Grab our full guide to freezing bananas here 👈)
- Orange Juice (or Milk): Orange juice provides a tangy and refreshing flavor to the smoothie. It adds a burst of vitamin C and natural sweetness. If you prefer a creamier texture, you can use milk (dairy or plant-based) instead of orange juice.
How to make A Spinach Smoothie
After you’ve ensured your banana is frozen, there’s just one simple step to making this spinach smoothie…
Step 1: Blend
Add the fresh spinach, frozen banana, and orange juice (or milk) into the blender(a high-powered blender – like Vitamix – will effortlessly blend the ingredients together, resulting in a smooth and creamy texture). Simply blend until everything is well combined and you have a velvety smoothie ready to enjoy.
Customizing Your Smoothie
- Fruit Variations: Experiment with different fruits like berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries), mango, pineapple, or peaches to add natural sweetness and variety to the smoothie. Frozen fruit is better, as it gives the smoothie a frosty texture!
- Nut Butter: Incorporate a spoonful of almond butter, peanut butter, or cashew butter for added creaminess and a hint of nutty flavor, while making the smoothie more satiating.
- Coconut Water or Coconut Milk: Replace the orange juice or milk with coconut water or coconut milk for a tropical twist and a hint of natural sweetness.
- Citrus Zest: Grate a small amount of lemon or lime zest into the smoothie for a burst of citrusy flavor.
- Sweeteners: If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, you can add a natural sweetener like honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar in moderation. I will say, if you’re using orange juice as the liquid base, the spinach smoothie will already be quite sweet.
This is the blender I use and adore!
Can I use a different fruit instead of banana?
Absolutely! You can swap the banana with other frozen fruits like berries, mango, or pineapple to add variety to your smoothie.
Can I make this smoothie ahead of time?
While it’s best to consume the smoothie fresh for maximum nutritional benefits, you can prepare it in advance and store it in the refrigerator for a few hours. Give it a quick shake or stir before drinking.
Can I adjust the consistency of the smoothie?
You can easily adjust the smoothie consistency. If you prefer a thicker smoothie, use less liquid or add ice cubes. For a thinner consistency, increase the amount of liquid.
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 banana previously chopped and frozen
- 1 cup orange juice can also use milk
- Optional Boosters: protein powder, flax seeds, chia seeds, green superfood powder
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth, adding in optional nutrition boosters.