This method for cooking potato saves time and electricity, while creating a perfectly fluffy and tender baked potato! Microwaved baked potatoes take less than 10 minutes and are a weeknight wonder for getting an easy side dish on the table!
There were a few recipes that got me through college. I was studying nutrition, so most of my staple recipes were vegetable based (I’ve since relearned to love cream cheese and butter in recipes again, but I digress).
These microwaved potatoes were one of those staple meals. Cheap, easy, and ready in under 10 minutes – they were a dream come true.
And the thing is…they still are. I’m here to say that microwaved baked potatoes aren’t just for the broke college students. They’re for the people. Whether you’re:
- Short on time and need to get starchy side on the table
- Into meal prepping and want to include these with meals
- Serving 1 or 2 people and don’t want to turn the oven on for just a few potatoes
Then microwaved potatoes are your solution. Let’s cook!
“You potato recipe was so easy to make. I cooked 2 potatoes at a time and both were done to perfection.” —Marie
Which potato is best for baking?
Not all potatoes are created equal, and you’ll want to make sure you’re using the correct type of potato for baking! The best types of potatoes for cooking in the microwave are Russet potatoes (aka Idaho potatoes), though most varieties of starchy potato will work.
Prick The Potato!
My first secret to the perfect microwaved potato: prick it! Poking holes all over the outside of the potato allow steam to escape during cooking, which will help to prevent it from exploding (yes this has happened to me, yes it is a mess).
Wrap In A Damp Towel
My second secret to a fluffy microwaved potato: wrap it in a damp paper towel! This will surround the potato with moisture, helping it to cook evenly and steam to perfection.
Can you cook two potatoes at the same time?
I recommend microwaving just one potato at a time to help it evenly cook. If you’re short on time, you can microwave two at the same time, but you’ll need to add 2 minutes to the cook time.
Can you Microwave sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes can be microwaved using this same method, but they will need more time to cook. Microwave sweet potatoes for a total of 10 minutes, flipping once, to ensure they’re fully cooked and tender.
Top it like it’s hot
A baked potato is nothing without it’s toppings. Here are my favorites:
- Sharp cheddar cheese (grate it yourself, don’t buy the pre-shredded stuff)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Vegan bacon bits (they’re ready in just 5 minutes, so you can make them while the potato microwaves!)
- Vegetarian chili if you’re trying to turn this into a meal (ready in just 20 minutes)
- 1 russet potato
- Poke: Wash and scrub the potato, then prick all over with a work to allow steam to escape while cooking.
- Wrap: Wrap in a damp paper towel.
- Cook: Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Flip the potato over, and continue cooking for 4 more minutes. Serve warm with your favorite toppings.