With just 5 minutes of hands-on work, this cornbread casserole is a lifesaver for busy cooks. With almost all pantry staples, it’s a delicious bread recipe that goes well with dinner any night of the week! We’ve simplified this comfort classic to minimize the ingredients list and make the process super streamlined. Let’s cook!
This cornbread casserole recipe is a dream for anyone looking to:
- Get an easy side on the table
- Not spend more than 5 minutes prepping a recipe
- Bring a tasty dish to a holiday gathering
And as an added bonus, we’ve been loving it as leftovers. Pop a piece in your air fryer and prepare to be in heaven.
Here’s What You’ll Need
We’ve kept the ingredients list as simple as possible for this recipe, because you need dinner on the table fast.
- Unsalted Butter: If you use a salted butter here, just omit the salt in this recipe!
- Cream Style Corn: This corn helps to give a custard consistency to the casserole.
- Corn: Supplement that cream corn with a can of plain corn! I love the texture this gives the casserole.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is my choice here, but you can try a full-fat plain Greek yogurt if you’re looking for a lower fat, higher protein option.
- Eggs: While many cornbread casseroles skip the eggs all together, I’ve found the texture is best with them! They give the casserole structure, whereas versions of this casserole without them tend to be more custardy.
- Cornbread Mix: Star of the show! We opted for the classic Jiffy brand.
- Salt: Amplify the flavors and create a more tender end result with a bit of salt.
How to make Cornbread Casserole
You’ll only need about 5 minutes of hands-on time with this recipe. Most of the time is spent just waiting for it to bake (and enjoying all the cozy smells wafting out of your oven)!
- Prep by turning on the oven and greasing your pan
- Mix everything together
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through
- Serve warm!
Once cooked, this cornbread casserole stays good in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Leftovers can also be frozen!
Our favorite way of reheating has been to air fryer pieces until crispy all around. So yummy!
What is cornbread Casserole anyways?
Cornbread casserole is like a mix between corn pudding and cornbread. While corn pudding is quite soft and cornbread is pretty dry, cornbread casserole is the happy medium of custardy while holding its shape when cut.
The best part of this casserole is how customizable it is! It can be adapted to your tastes in so many ways:
- Add cheese to the batter before cooking, like shredded sharp cheddar.
- Add veggies like spinach of diced bell pepper.
- Add spice by adding diced jalapeños to the batter.
- Garnish with sliced green onions, chives, or butter!
Make It Dinner
This vegetarian casserole pairs well with these comfort classics:
- Black Bean Chili
- Air Fryer Fried “Chicken” (oyster mushrooms!)
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Vegan Beef Stew
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened, 1 stick, 115 g
- 1 15-oz can cream-style corn undrained, 425 g
- 1 15-oz can corn drained, 425 g
- 1 cup sour cream 220 g
- 2 eggs
- 1 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix we used Jiffy brand
- ½ tsp salt
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375°F (186°C). Grease a 9×13 inch (or similar) casserole dish.
- Mix: In the microwave, soften the ½ cup unsalted butter for 15 seconds. In a large bowl stir together 1 15-oz can cream-style corn 1 15-oz can corn 1 cup sour cream, 2 eggs, 1 8.5 oz box corn muffin mix, and ½ tsp salt.
- Bake: Transfer dough to prepared casserole dish, smoothing out the surface. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until top is a bit golden brown and the center no longer jiggles.
- Serve: Let cool slightly, then cut into squares and serve warm.