These baked avocado fries are the best of both worlds. Super creamy on the inside and extra crispy on the outside. Serve them hot with this smoky chipotle ranch.
Everyone loves french fries, and potatoes definitely pack in some nutrition to be enjoyed when you make your own fries at home. Sometimes though, you just get the urge for something fresh and new, and amazingly melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Enter: avocado fries!
I already love avocado in guacamole and on sandwiches, and in soup, smoothies, and even pies. But these are all cold applications. Have you ever tried your avocado hot? These fries are just the answer to that dilemma, and they pack a bunch of crunch with it!
These crispy avocado fries are the perfect vehicle for dips, too! I’ll share a wonderful creamy chipotle ranch below, but feel free to select any dip of your choosing. These would also be great served on a charcuterie board with crisp carrots, ranch dressing, and cheese!
Ingredients for Baked Avocado Fries
Avocados have quite the reputation for being not ripe, not ripe, not ripe – oh wait, brown and mushy?? However, you can easily select the right avocado ripeness for this recipe by checking under the stem. If it’s still green there (while also soft to the touch) and not brown you are good to go!
- Avocados: These green monsters have such a nutritional punch. Lots of healthy fats and fiber to keep you feeling satisfied. Their creaminess makes the fries that much better.
- Flour & Spices: The first step in breading these avocado fries is to coat them in a thin layer of flour! This will help the egg and panko stick on. For added flavor, mix cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt right into the flour.
- Eggs: Eggs are like the glue that makes the breading stay on (plus, they bring a little punch of protein!)
- Panko: If you aren’t familiar with these Japanese bread crumbs, get them now. They should be available in most stores right next to the regular bread crumbs. Light and crunchy, they give these fries the “fried” feeling, without the oil.
We’re whipping up a quick and delicious chipotle ranch dipping sauce using plain Greek yogurt, mayo, chipotle sauce, and ranch seasoning!
How to make Crispy Avocado Fries
As long as you have perfectly ripe avocados, this recipe is a cinch to make. Breading each individual wedge does take some time and makes for messy fingers, but the end result is well worth it!
Step 1: Prep
Mix up all those delicious seasonings into flour. No sad taste buds here! In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs. Put panko in a final bowl. Bread station = complete!
Step 2: Slice it Up
There’s an easy technique I love for cutting avocados! Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Place the avocado cut side down and cut each half into 4 equal sized pieces, then gently peel the skin off of each. This should give you 8 fries from each avocado! (Put away that spoon! We prefer to peel the skin off of the avocado, as opposed to scoop it out with a spoon, which can make for a mess and less perfect fries.)
Step 3: Dredge
Dredge each avocado fry in the flour to coat it evenly. This will help the egg stick!
Next, dip each avocado wedge in the whisked egg mixture.
Finally, gently pat the panko into the egg to ensure each avocado fry is nicely coated!
Line the coated fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure to spread them out evenly so they brown nicely.
Step 4: Bake
Bake until just starting to turn golden on the edges.
Fried, Not Baked: Air fried avocado fries hit the spot! These can either be baked in the oven or put into the air fryer. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your basket.
Perfectly Ripe: Make sure you select the best avocados you can for this recipe. if they are too ripe they won’t stay together as you bread, bake, and eat them.
Get Sour: Out of Greek yogurt? Try sour cream to whip up your dip.
Are avocado fries healthy? You bet! The fat and fiber are super satisfying, and I think the crunch is so fun. Just make sure to split this recipe among friends – all things in moderation!
Plays well with
- Burgers and Fries are always a classic dinner combo. Why not pair these with a Buffalo Tempeh Sandwich?
- Not a fan of spice? Mix up some Ranch Dressing that has a protein boost from tofu to do your dipping.
Baked Avocado Fries
- ½ cup all-purpose flour 50 g
- 1 tsp each cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 30 g
- 2 avocados
Chipotle Ranch Sauce
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt 120 g
- ¼ cup mayonnaise 60 g
- 1 Tbsp chipotle sauce from a jar of adobo peppers
- 1 tsp ranch seasoning
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). In a medium bowl stir together flour and spices. In a second bowl, whisk eggs until whites and yolk are combined. Place panko in a third bowl.
- Cut Avocado: Cut avocado in half lengthwise and remove pit. Place avocado cut side down and cut each half into 4 equal sized pieces, then gently peel the skin off of each.
- Bread: Working one at a time, dip each avocado slice first in the flour, then egg, then panko. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Sauce: While avocado bakes, combine all sauce ingredients for serving.