These Coconut Coated No Bake Energy Bites are made with prunes, almonds, chia seeds, and OJ! They make a great quick and healthy snack or on-the-go breakfast.
Whether you’ve been camping, hiking, or skiing, coconut bites are a must for post-adventure snacking. If your day will take you outdoors, it requires some coconut bites!
They’re are the perfect little pick-me-up, made with almonds, prunes, and chia seeds (hello, energy!). They’re super quick and easy to make, and they don’t even require baking. You can spice (or zest) ’em up with orange or lemon zest, or make them a bit sweeter with sweetened coconut!
And did I mention that these are vegan, gluten-free, and paleo? YEP! They’re multi diet-friendly, so they’re great to share with pals as the ingredients accommodate most food preferences.
Ingredients in prune and coconut balls
Only 7 ingredients are needed to make these coconut balls. We’ll start with a base of almonds, prunes, and chia seeds, and then we’ll add some flavor with salt, vanilla, OJ, and coconut.
- Almonds: Start with ½ cup almonds as the base for the bites. These create a wonderfully crunchy texture!
- Prunes: For the prunes, you will need 1 cup, packed. These are the sticky glue keeping the bites together, while also adding a slightly sweet flavor.
- Chia Seeds: Throw in 1 tablespoon of heart-healthy chia seeds for protein and nutrient density.
- Salt: Add a pinch of salt for flavor. It’s wild the difference a bit of salt can make!
- Vanilla Extract: Next, include ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract. You could also use almond extract for a slightly different flavor profile!
- Orange Juice: A bit of liquid is needed to help everything bind together. Achieve the right consistency with 2 tablespoons of orange juice (or water).
- Coconut: Last but not least, ½ cup of unsweetened and shredded coconut should be the perfect amount to coat all of the bites.
How to make coconut energy balls
Two steps, no problem. We’ll start with some food processing before rolling the mix into balls cookie dough style. Then, they’re ready to enjoy!
Step 1: Blitz the ingredients
In a food processor, process the almonds until they’re coarsely ground. Add the rest of the remaining ingredients except the coconut, and process until the mixture is evenly mixed.
Step 2: Roll in coconut
Form teaspoon-sized pieces of dough into balls and then roll them in the shredded coconut to evenly coat. That’s it!
From here, simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Switch up the flavor with these 3 Ingredients
If you’re a fan of sugary snacks or crave something sweet in the morning, use sweetened shredded coconut. This will add a bit of extra sugar and will take care of your sweet tooth!
If you’re in the mood for something zesty, add a bit of orange zest to liven up the flavor! This provides the perfect amount of tanginess and tastes delicious when paired with the coconut.
Go the same but different route with lemon zest! An equally tangy option, this variation is sure to wake you up with its slightly sour flavor.
Breakfast Recipes to Pair with Coconut Bites
Here are some more easy, on-the-go breakfasts that you can carry out the door alongside your coconut bites!
- ½ cup almonds 90 g
- 1 cup packed prunes 250 g
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds 12 g
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp orange juice or water 30 mL
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut 45 g
- Blitz: In a food processor, process almonds until coarsely ground. Add all remaining ingredients except coconut and process until the mixture is evenly mixed.
- Roll: Form teaspoon sized pieces of dough into balls and roll in the shredded coconut to coat.