These Zucchini Cheddar Bites are packed with hidden vegetables and are so addictive! With zucchini, carrot, and cheddar cheese, they’re great for cleaning out the fridge in healthy, delicious snacking form.
My dad puts zucchini in everything. Smoothies, ice cream, salads, cereal. It’s clearly quite the versatile food. But after the Zucchini Crisp we made a few days ago I was about sweet toothed out. (Okay that’s a lie. I’m never sweet toothed out. But the nutritionist in me was begging for something that didn’t involve sugar.) And so these Zucchini Cheddar Bites came to be!
Ingredients for these zucchini bites
- Zucchini: Zucchini makes up a bulk of the bite! We’ll shred then coax the moisture out of these, leaving the peel on of course for added fiber and vitamin K.
- Carrots: Most any recipe involving shredded cheese can also act as a vessel in which to sneak shredded carrots. Muahahaha.
- Egg: The glue that holds these flavor bombs together with a little punch of protein!
- Cheddar Cheese: High in fat? Yea. The very foundation of these warm, tender, flavorful bites? Yes.
- Breadcrumbs: Use a whole grain variety to pack in a few more B vitamins and fiber.
- Onion, garlic, green onions: No dish would be complete without our favorite alliums.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini about 2 zucchinis, peel on
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup whole grain seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ medium white onion diced
- ½ cup shredded carrot about 2 carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Shred zucchini with a food processor or box grater. Spread onto a few layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Stir: Shred/dice/measure remaining ingredients. Press excess water out of zucchini then mix everything together. Spoon golf ball-sized rounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake: For 30 minutes, or until outsides are brown and crisp.