These easy crostini are piled high with whipped feta cheese, grilled corn, zucchini, and flavor! Perfect as a snack, party finger food, for an appetizer.
Feta cheese and I have a long standing affair. Long before there was a tulip-man, there was feta cheese. And recently, feta revealed a side of itself I never knew existed. A side that’s creamy, smooth, and won’t get feta crumbs all over the damn couch when all I want to do is eat a Greek salad and watch the Olympics. No, this new side of feta is new age and efficien… whipped feta!
After making these Herby Whipped Brie Stuffed Strawberries, I started to wonder what other cheeses might like to meet my food processor. Naturally feta, my most favorite cheese, sprung into my head. One thing led to another and soon I had creamy whipped feta cheese.
Now this stuff is GOLD. All the things you could never put feta cheese on for fear of crumbles going everywhere can now be feta-tized, Sandwiches, wraps, toast, crackers, you name it. But today, we’re elevating our snacking game with these Whipped Feta, Corn, & Zucchini Crostini appetizers, a close relative to the summer-favorite Zucchini Corn Salad we made a while back.
We’ll basically toast up some slices of baguette, spread on some basil-y whipped feta, and pile them high with grilled zucchini and corn. Serve them as a snack, an appetizer, a lunch, or just gobble half of them down after assembly (*cough*).
- 1 12-inch baguette 30 cm
- 4 Tbsp olive oil 60 mL, divided
- 8 oz room temperature feta cheese 226 g, block or crumbled
- 3 oz room temperature cream cheese 1/3 cup, 85 g
- 1 Tbsp chopped basil + more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic divided
- 1 ear corn
- 1 zucchini 1 cm, cut into 1/2 inch thick planks
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Slice baguette into 1/2 inch (about 1 cm) thick pieces (about 24). Use 2 Tbsp of the olive oil to brush each side of the slices, then bake at 400 degrees F (204 C), for 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly toasted.
- In a food processor, whip room temperature feta and cream cheese until smooth, just a minute or two. Add the chopped basil and 1 clove of minced garlic and mix until evenly combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the other 2 Tbsp of olive oil with 1 clove of minced garlic. Brush onto the corn and planks of zucchini.
- On either a grill, a grill pan, or a saute pan, cook the corn and zucchini over high heat until cooked through and slightly charred, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Chop the zucchini into small pieces and cut the corn from the cob, trying to keep the corn as intact chunks if possible.
- Spread a bit of whipped feta onto each slice of baguette, then top with a sprinkle of corn and a piece of zucchini. Drizzle with a squeeze of lemon juice, lightly sprinkle with red pepper, and garnish with chopped basil.