This easy Spanish Rice and Beans recipe is quick to whip up and is a great source of complete proteins!
I’ve been on the hunt recently for some really easy side dishes. Because although I’m literally cooking all day long as a food blogger, dinner tends to become an afterthought. Let alone a complete dinner with, you know, side dishes.
And since you can’t go wrong with rice, today we’re making an easy Spanish Rice and Beans recipe that whips up quickly (but tastes like it’s straight from your favorite Mexican restaurant!)
How to Make Spanish Rice and Beans Video
And the best part about beans and rice? When you put them together they become a complete protein, meaning together they contain all the essential amino acids you need! Step aside, steak, there’s a new protein powerhouse in town 💪🏽
Spanish Rice and Beans Ingredients
- Rice: White is best in this recipe!
- Onions, garlic, broth: We’ll cook the rice in these flavor makers for maximum tastiness.
- Salsa: Jarred salsa is going to cut down on time and ingredients needed. Use your favorite brand! (Or make your own blender salsa!)
- Beans: We used kidney beans, but feel free to substitute any red or black bean for this recipe.
How to Make Spanish Rice and Beans
- Toast Rice: Toasting the rice before simmering will give it a nuttier flavor while preventing it from becoming mushy.
- Cook Rice: Saute your onion and garlic with the rice, then add in veggie broth and cook until the rice is fluffy and tender.
- Add Salsa: Stir in your favorite canned salsa.
- Add Beans: Finish by stirring in a drained and rinsed can of beans.
- Enjoy: Serve warm with your favorite Spanish-inspired dishes!
Spanish Rice FAQ
How do you fix mushy Spanish Rice? If your rice is too mushy, it has too much water in it. Uncover the pan and cook on low to evaporate the water.
Can you make Spanish Rice with brown rice? Yes! The texture will be a little less fluffy, but you’ll pack in more fiber and vitamins using brown rice. Be sure to adjust both time and broth amounts if using brown rice (more of each!)
How much rice should I make per person? You’ll want to cook roughly 1/3 cup dry rice per person.
Is Spanish Rice healthy? This method for cooking rice is not only low in fat, but by combining the rice and beans you get all the essential amino acids your body needs!
Serve this beans and rice with:
- Burrito Bowls
- Mexican Sheet Pan Supper
- Southwest Spring Rolls
- Roasted Beet and Chickpea Tacos
- Huevos Rancheros
- 2 Tbsp oil 30 mL
- 2 cups dry white rice 350 g
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth 720 mL
- 1 cup salsa 240 g
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed, 425 g
- Toast Rice: Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium/high. Add rice and toast until the grains begin to turn golden brown, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Add Flavor Makers: Reduce heat to medium and add onion and garlic, continuing to cook until onion is soft.
- Cook Til Tender: Add broth, cover, and cook until rice is tender and broth is absorbed. About 15 minutes.
- Finish: Stir in salsa then beans and serve warm.
I first published a this recipe on Amanda’s Cookin’, where I’m a contributor.
Leave a Comment