Shakshuka with Tofu “Feta”
This 1-dish shakshuka recipe is a traditional North African meal that’s incredibly easy to make, packed with flavor, and topped with tofu “feta” for extra yum!
You know how I mentioned that during our trial run of the 21 Day Vegetarian Reset my disdain for tomatoes transformed into some serious tomato cravings? Well this shakshuka recipe was a remedy (and a seriously tasty one at that). Because is there anything better than a 1-dish, 30 minute dinner that consists largely of runny eggs, flavorful tomato/veggie sauce, and a healthy heap of warm pita bread for dipping? Nope, no there’s not.
Shakshuka with Tofu "Feta"
- 1 tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 14.5- oz cans diced tomatoes 411g
- 2 tbsp tomato paste 30 mL
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 4 to 5 eggs
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
Tofu Feta (or sub normal feta cheese)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup water 60 mL
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Drain tofu and slice into small blocks blocks. Pat dry with paper towels and place blocks in a deep dish (like a tupperware container).To the tofu add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until shakshuka is ready, draining before serving.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, then add onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until soft, then add bell pepper and continue cooking 5 minutes, until pepper is tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Crack eggs onto the tomato mixture, cover, and allow to simmer 10 to 15 more minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your liking.
Garnish with crumbled tofu “feta” and chopped parsley. Serve with pita bread for dipping.
Helpful products for this Shakshuka Recipe
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something from that link I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Live Eat Learn and for making this shakshuka recipe possible!
Hi, I’m Sarah! We’re working our way through the easy vegetarian kitchen, one ingredient at a time. Learn more and follow along!
Join the Eatmail for exclusive recipes, meal ideas PLUS our FREE green smoothies eBook!