Throw a bunch of vegetables into a baking dish, roast until charred and delicious, blend into soup! That’s the name of the game with this roasted vegetable soup recipe, a nutritious hands-off dinner recipe that’s packed with flavor and perfect for serving the whole family. Easily customized to whatever vegetables you have in your kitchen!
In my forever quest to bring you non-recipe recipes, let’s make roasted vegetable soup!
By roasting up a bunch of veggies with a bit of oil and spices, we can elevate their flavors and soften them up, perfect for blending into a rich and dynamic vegetarian soup recipe.
Why you’ll love This Soup
This veggie soup has so much going for it. It’s:
- Customizable to whatever veggies you have on hand
- A great way of using up soon-to-go-bad veggies
- Totally vegan and gluten-free
- Freezable, perfect for enjoying all winter
Here’s What You’ll need
The ingredients for this soup are customizable to whatever you have on hand, but there are a few important things to note when throwing ingredients in:
- Think about color: I used tomatoes, red peppers, carrots, celery, onion, and parsnip. Together these create a gorgeous orange color! You can certainly throw almost any vegetable in, but be aware that ingredients like green peppers or broccoli will impact the color, and could make the soup look less appetizing (and we eat with our eyes first!)
- Beans: I like supplementing the veggies with a can of beans for protein! They also create a creamy texture when blended.
- Add spices: Salt, pepper, cayenne, and oregano were my choices for flavoring this soup. Feel free to add or swap! Italian seasoning, Herbs de Provence, or something smoky like smoked paprika would do well here.
- Don’t forget the garlic: By trimming off the top of the garlic bulb and drizzling with oil, you’ll slowly roast the garlic cloves right inside their paper. These will turn ultra-soft and caramelized, and can be squeezed out of their skins for blending!
- Oil: A bit of olive oil (or avocado oil) will help everything roast well.
- Vegetable broth: Blends everything together after roasted! Feel free to use a carton, broth from bouillon, or make your own vegetable broth.
How to make Roasted Veggie Soup
Making this soup is soouuuper simple:
- Prep all your veggies and throw them in a dish
- Roast until soft and a bit charred around the edges
- Blend until smooth (important safety note below)
- Serve with crusty bread!
Caution While Blending
It’s very important to note that you should never tightly seal soup while blending! The hot steam expands rapidly, which can cause the soup to explode, splattering the hot liquid everywhere and potentially causing burns. For this reason, never use a sealed blender (like a nutribullet) for hot soups. Instead, use a loosely lidded standing blender or an immersion stick blender.
This is the blender I use and adore!
This veggie soup stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days. It also freezes well! Portion into desired serving sizes and freeze for up to 3 months.
Other Veggies To Add
While I’ve included my exact recipe below, here are some other veggies you could add or swap in that are delicious in this roasted veggie soup!
- Butternut squash
- Sweet potato
Serve It With
A soup is nothing without its toppings and sides. Here’s how I like to serve this one:
- With homemade croutons for a crunchy textural element
- With cornbread casserole, especially if you pop it in the air fryer for a few minutes to get it crispy!
- With vegan garlic bread for dipping
- 4 roma tomatoes halved
- 2 red bell peppers halved and seeds removed
- 4 carrots scrubbed
- 4 ribs celery trimmed
- 1 onion yellow or white, cut into chunks
- 1 parsnip peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 15-oz can butter beans drained, 425 g
- 2 bulbs garlic top trimmed off
- ½ tsp each salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- 4 cups vegetable broth 946 mL
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Prepare all ingredients, chopping and trimming as directed in the ingredients section, tossing them into a large casserole dish. Add all vegetables, beans, spices, and oil to the casserole dish.
- Roast: Toss to evenly coat each veggie in oil and spices. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until veggies are a bit charred at the edges.
- Blend: Remove bay leaves. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender. Squeeze the soft roasted garlic from the bulbs (add more or less, depending on how much you like garoic). Add vegetable broth and cover loosely. (Ensure there is a gap between the lid and container to allow steam to escape! Never tightly shut hot liquids while blending.) Blend until smooth.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh herbs and served with your favorite crusty bread.