Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Healthy Cauliflower Soup that’s ultra-creamy AND easy AND vegan? It’s happening and it is so much tastier that you can imagine.
Guess what, guys? It’s Live Eat Learn’s birthday! She turns a whopping 3 years old today (which, if my calculations are correct, is like 11 in internet years). And what better to celebrate a birthday than with…soup. Right?
Honestly, I didn’t remember it was her birthday until a few days ago, at which point it was too late to make a cake. Besides, how am I supposed to work nutritional yeast into a cake? I’ve been known for some unconventional flavor combinations, but that one would take the cake (ha. ha.)
So we’re ditching the cake in lieu of this healthy cauliflower soup! It’s ultra-creamy and rich without dairy, and has the most delicious crispy bits on top that I’m obsessed with.
Healthy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided, 30 mL
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth 700 mL
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast 20 g
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 head cauliflower
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs 15 g
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- Soup: Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until onion softens (about 5 min). Add broth, nutritional yeast, and thyme. Roughly chop about 3/4 of the cauliflower and add to the pot. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until cauliflower is fork-tender.
- Crispy Bits: Thinly slice the remaining 1/4 of the cauliflower. Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add cauliflower in a single layer. Cook until both sides are lightly browned, then add the panko and continue cooking until bread crumbs are golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve: Remove thyme sprigs from soup and puree (either using a handheld immersion blender or a by transferring to a standing blender). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm topped with crispy cauliflower.
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more