Looking for an easy vegetable side dish that you’ll actually look forward to? This roasted broccoli with lemon is so addictive (and only requires 5 minutes of hands-on time)!
So how great would it be if you had a tasty little recipe in your back pocket to pull out when your busy schedule or holiday temptations are threatening your veggies?
Answer: so great. Which is why today we’re whipping up this roasted broccoli with lemon! It’s stupid simple and packed with flavor. Let’s cook!
Ingredients For Roasted Broccoli
Broccoli doesn’t have to be boring! With these simple ingredients, it will be your weekly favorite and a show stopper for any holiday gathering.
- Broccoli: By roasting the nutrient-packed broccoli, we are able to soften it but also create this delicious charred exterior that will have folks coming back for seconds!
- Olive Oil: Oil helps to achieve that crispy outside on the broccoli. Feel free to use any type of cooking oil you have on hand (we love heart-healthy olive oil around here).
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice helps the broccoli really shine! The acidity wakes up the taste buds and is the perfect pairing to parmesan.
- Parmesan: This is a salty cheese with a slightly nutty flavor. It also adds a wonderful creaminess to this broccoli dish.
- Spices: For this dish, I keep it simple with some classic spices that pack a lot of flavors. Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and (my favorite) red pepper flakes
Short on time? Or don’t want to do more dishes? Simply toss the broccoli, spices, and oil together with your hands directly on the baking sheet. By using your hands, you can ensure all of the broccoli florets are thoroughly coated.
How To Roast Broccoli
This crispy broccoli is so easy to make and with become an addicting weeknight staple! Ready in 30 minutes, with nearly no prep, this is the perfect side dish.
Step 1: Prep
Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). In a large mixing bowl, stir together florets, oil, and spices (it’s easier to use your hands instead of a spoon to equally coat all the broccoli in oil!)
Step 2: Bake
Spread broccoli onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip each piece of broccoli over and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
Step 3: Serve
Sprinkle with lemon zest, juice, and grated parmesan. Serve hot!
Recipe Tips And FAQs
Prep Tip: When prepping the broccoli, it helps to cut them into evenly sized pieces to ensure even cooking. It also helps to cut the broccoli length-wise to create a flat side for the broccoli to lay on.
Baking Tip: For even crispier broccoli, put the baking pan in the oven while it preheats. This will heat the pan up so that when you lay the broccoli on it to bake, the broccoli will cook from underneath rather than just on top. This is similar to placing something onto a hot grill.
Storage: If you have some broccoli leftover, feel free to store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To roast broccoli in the air fryer, spread broccoli florets in an even layer and cook at 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 13 minutes (full guide to air fryer frozen broccoli here!)
What to Pair with Broccoli
This dish makes a great side dish. So, here are some main dishes to serve with it and some other side dishes for a delicious grazing dinner.
- Vegan Ratatouille is a delicious and beautiful French classic that will be in the oven in 15 minutes!
- Ultimate Whole Roasted Cauliflower is another show-stopping dish. This cauliflower will be the new turkey at your vegetarian Thanksgiving!
- Lemon Basil Risotto makes for a great side dish or main dish to pair with broccoli. Also filled with lemon and parmesan, these two dishes go perfectly together!
Looking for a different way to cook broccoli? Grab our ultimate guide to cooking broccoli (5 ways!)
- 1 lb broccoli chopped into florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- ¼ tsp each salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder
- ½ lemon juice + zest
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan omit for vegan option
- Prep: Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). In a large mixing bowl, stir together florets, oil, and spices (it's easier to use your hands instead of a spoon to equally coat all the broccoli in oil!)
- Bake: Spread broccoli onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip each piece of broccoli over and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Serve: Sprinkle with lemon zest, juice, and grated parmesan. Serve hot!