Amp up your protein with this Healthy Egg Salad recipe. Made in only 15 minutes, this 5-ingredient recipe is perfect for eating atop your favorite bread, in a wrap, or as a salad!
Bored with the ol’ greens-filled salad and in search of something that feels a bit more filling and indulgent?
Behold, my favorite healthy egg salad recipe!
This mighty little 5-ingredient dish packs a savory flavor punch. Made with Greek yogurt, mustard, celery, and salt & pep (and of course, eggs), this is the perfect recipe for eating on your favorite wrap.
I love to make a batch of this for eating with crackers or placing on my favorite pita slices! It makes the perfect snack, but is filling enough to be its own meal.
Ingredients in this lower calorie egg salad
Simple recipes are always best, so for this salad, we’re using only 5 ingredients to achieve a delicious, creamy (yet crunchy) egg salad!
- Eggs: First up, you’ll need 6 large eggs. We will be hard boiling and chopping them before mixing with the remaining items.
- Greek Yogurt: To give the salad its creaminess, include ¼ cup of plain Greek yogurt. Full-fat yogurt is best, but you can go with a lower fat alternative if you’re watching calories. Whichever route you choose, this still ends up being a healthier egg salad, as the yogurt replaces mayonnaise, the creamy ingredient in traditional egg salad.
- Celery: To add a nice crunch, finely dice up ¼ cup of celery.
- Mustard: Our main flavor agent will be dijon mustard, which adds a little zing to balance out the creamy flavors. You’ll need 1 tablespoon.
- Salt & Pepper: Finally, top with ¼ tsp of salt and pepper (each).
How to make healthy egg salad
This egg salad recipe is just as simple as it is delicious: very. With only 3 steps, it comes together in only 15 minutes. Boil and peel the eggs and then mix them with the yogurt, celery, mustard, salt, and pepper! It’s that easy.
Step 1: Prepare the eggs
Place the eggs in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, and then remove from the heat. Let the eggs sit in the hot water for 12 minutes.
If you’re at elevation, your eggs will need a little longer to cook – let them sit for 15 to 20 minutes. As my first time boiling eggs since moving to Denver, I learned this one the hard way!
When the time is up, transfer the eggs to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process and aid in peeling.
Step 2: Peel the eggs
Gently tap each egg on the counter to break the shell all around the egg. This helps the shell peel off easily!
Step 3: Assemble the salad
Roughly chop the eggs, and then gently fold them together with the remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
How to serve
So you’ve made a huge bowl of egg salad. Now what? If you’re wondering how to serve it up, here are some yummy ideas that you may want to try.
- Egg salad sandwich: First up, you can make a sandwich using your favorite bread, a slice of lettuce, and even a tomato. You could even include a few slices of your favorite plant-based “bacon” for maximum breakfast sandwich vibes.
- Veggie & egg wrap: Much like the sandwich, you can include egg salad on a veggie wrap with tomatoes, onion, lettuce, or whatever else you’d like. Since the egg salad is creamy, you won’t need dressing or hummus.
- Stuffed avocado: For the avocado lovers out there, get fancy by stuffing your avo’ with a bit of egg salad! Just place a scoop where the pit would be. As you eat it, scoop away at the avocado for extra flavor.
- Salad style: Last but not least, you can serve your egg salad as-is! Enjoy it bite by bite, and optionally throw in extra veggies for added oomph. You could use chopped cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, and even avocado. YUM.
More tasty egg recipes
Do you love a meal that’s rich in protein? I sure do – they always leave me feeling nice and full! I find that egg-containing recipes are great for this, so here are some recipes that are sure to do the job!
- Southern Eggs Benedict
- Healthier Deviled Eggs
- Huevos Rancheros
- Sweet Potato & Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Skillet
- Savory Oatmeal with Avocado & Poached Egg
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt 60 g
- ¼ cup finely diced celery 40 g
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard 15 g
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Boil: Place eggs in a large pot and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Let eggs sit in the hot water for 12 minutes*. Transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process and aid in peeling.
- Peel: Gently tap each egg on the counter to break the shell all around the egg. Peel off the shell.
- Assemble: Roughly chop the eggs. Gently fold together with all remaining ingredients. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Leave a Comment