Fancy up your morning meal with an Egg White Frittata. These bad boys are loaded with cheesiness and supply a nice serving of greens at the same time. Just whisk, sauté, and bake!
This egg white frittata is made with the most delicious ingredients: egg whites, feta cheese, mushrooms, and spinach (oh, and parmesan!). The secret ingredient is the dairy that’s included to really make things creamy and to give the frittata that thick, fluffy texture that we’re looking for.
This dish is perfect for enjoying on a slow weekend morning, but it’s fast and enough enough for whipping together before the school or work day. Let’s cook!
Ingredients in this egg white frittata
This dish contains everything you’d expect – eggs, spinach, and even a little bit of feta. But it also includes parmesan cheese, mushrooms, and the dairy add-on of your choice. Together, these ingredients create a creamy, filling frittata that’s perfect for a luxe breakfast occasion.
- Egg Whites: Start with 2 cups of egg whites. You can use the whites from a container of eggs (you’ll need about 12), or grab one of the egg white cartons from the store.
- Full-Fat Dairy: For the dairy portion, you can use milk, sour cream, cream cheese, or heavy cream. No matter which you choose, you’ll need 3 tablespoons.
- Feta Cheese: Next, use ½ cup of crumbled feta for a delicious creamy addition.
- Parmesan Cheese: Similarly, include ½ cup of grated Parmesan. For strict vegetarians, be sure to look for a vegetarian parmesan (traditional parm contains rennet).
- Olive Oil: To sauté the mushrooms, set aside 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms add savory flavor and help to bulk up the frittata. You’ll need 2 cups of sliced button mushrooms (brown or white). Feeling adventurous? Use portobello, shiitake, or even oyster mushrooms!
- Spinach: 2 handfuls of fresh spinach will help us sneak in some greens while also adding to the flavor.
- Salt: Finally, throw in ¼ tsp of salt to bring out the flavors of all our ingredients!
How to make an egg white frittata with spinach and feta
This spinach egg white frittata recipe comes together in only 5 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cooking time. It’s decently quick and very easy to whip together!
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites, dairy, and half of the cheeses.
Step 2: Sauté the mushrooms
Heat the oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, cooking until they’ve released their moisture and become soft, about 5 minutes. Roughly tear up the spinach and add it to the pan. Stir and cook until it wilts down, about 1 minutes. Then, stir in the salt.
Step 3: Add the egg
Next up, add the whisked egg mixture. Continue cooking for about 30 seconds, or until the outsides of the frittata begin to set and turn lighter.
Step 4: Bake the frittata
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the frittata. Transfer the pan to your preheated oven and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the frittata is set. Do not overcook! Slice into 8 pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.
How to serve frittata
Wondering what to serve up with your baked egg white frittata? Anything goes, from sweet breakfast sides to savory lunch spreads!
Pair it with a heaping plate of hash browns or home fries, or cook up a few pieces of toast and jam. You can also serve this frittata with a side salad (brunch style), or with your favorite fresh fruit!
You’ll love these breakfast recipes
If you’re bored of the regular ol’ cereal breakfast, try one of these recipes. All are pretty simple to make and will give the term “breakfast feast” a whole new meaning.
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Quinoa Breakfast Skillet
- Southern Eggs Benedict
- Savory Oatmeal with Avocado and Poached Egg
- (Better than Bisquick) Vanilla Pancakes
Looking for another fun way to use egg whites? Try this silky Egg White Oatmeal!
- 2 cups egg whites about 12 eggs
- 3 Tbsp full fat dairy like milk, sour cream, cream cheese, or heavy cream
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese 50 g
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese 50 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms 170 g
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- ¼ tsp salt
- Prep: Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). In a bowl, whisk together egg whites, dairy, and half of the cheeses.
- Saute: Heat oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, cooking until they have released their moisture and become soft, about 5 minutes. Roughly tear up the spinach and add it to the pan. Stir and cook until it wilts down, about 1 minute. Stir in the salt.
- Egg: Add the whisked egg mixture. Continue cooking for about 30 seconds, or until the outsides of the frittata begin to set and turn lighter.
- Bake: Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of the frittata. Transfer the pan to your preheated oven and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until frittata is set. Do not overcook! Slice into 8 pieces. Serve warm or room temperature.