This week, enjoy this creamy pumpkin pasta recipe for pasta night! Made with pumpkin puree, veggie broth, and cream cheese and ready in just 15 minutes!
Pasta night is looking a little different around here. And I mean, what else would you expect during Pumpkin Week? Tomato sauce? Forget about it! Pumpkin sauce is where it’s at (though, tomato pasta lovers don’t be weary – this recipe still uses tomato paste!).
This recipe is incredible in all of its pumpkin creaminess. It’s made with pumpkin puree to get that rich taste, but a quarter cup of cream cheese really brings the flavor train home. Along with those, we’re using veggie broth, sage, salt, and pepper.
Ingredients in pumpkin pasta
- Pasta: Begin with 8 oz (4 servings) of pasta, whether bucatini, fettuccini, rigatoni, or another variety of pasta you have on hand.
- Olive Oil: Set aside 1 tablespoon of olive oil to sauté the garlic.
- Garlic: Lay down a solid foundation of flavor with 3 cloves, minced.
- Pumpkin Puree: Add pumpkin flavor with 1 15-oz can of pumpkin puree. Make sure you don’t accidentally use pumpkin pie filling, as that wouldn’t create the best pasta sauce!
- Vegetable Broth: 1 cup of veggie broth creates the right texture and adds some savory flavor. Feel free to use low-sodium!
- Tomato Paste: 2 tablespoons of tomato paste bring a rich umami (savory) flavor.
- Cream Cheese: Include ¼ cup of cream cheese for a delicious, creamy texture!
- Sage: 1 tablespoon of finely chopped sage adds a unique and delicious herby element that pairs perfectly with pumpkin.
- Salt & Pepper: Last but not least, add ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper, each!
- To Serve: Serve with grated parmesan (the more the tastier, obviously).
How to make this pumpkin pasta recipe
To make pumpkin pasta we’ll start by cooking the noodles followed by the garlic. From there, it’s a matter of mixing, blending, and serving! Prep time totals just 5 minutes and cook time totals 10.
Step 1: Prepare the pasta
Cook the pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the package.
Step 2: Cook the garlic
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Create the sauce
Stir in the pumpkin, broth, and tomato paste. Cover the dish and bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream cheese, sage, salt, and pepper.
Step 4: Optionally blend
If you want an even smoother sauce, carefully blend it using a handheld immersion blender, or by transferring to a countertop blender. If using the latter, leave the lid cracked while blending to allow steam to escape.
Step 5: Garnish and serve
Toss together the cooked pasta and pumpkin sauce. Transfer to serving bowls, topping liberally with fresh grated parmesan.
Storing pumpkin Pasta
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can keep the pasta and sauce in separate containers or combine everything into one. Enjoy within 4 to 5 days!
Try these pasta recipes next
Fact: You can never have too many pasta nights! Here are some more pasta variations to try.
- Pasta with Radicchio and Goat Cheese
- Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado Pesto
- Butternut Squash Pasta with Gorgonzola Sauce
- Kyaw’s Porcini Pasta
- 8 oz pasta bucatini, fettuccini, rigatoni, or your favorite variety, 226 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling, 425 g
- 1 cup vegetable broth 226 mL
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste 30 g
- ¼ cup cream cheese about 2 oz, 50 g
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped sage
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- To serve: grated parmesan
- Pasta: Cook pasta in salted water according to instructions on package.
- Garlic: Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Sauce: Stir in pumpkin, broth, and tomato paste. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer, letting it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in cream cheese, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Optional Blend: If you want an even smoother sauce, carefully blend using a handheld immersion blender, or by transferring to a countertop blender (leave the lid cracked to allow steam to escape).
- Serve: Toss together cooked paste and pumpkin sauce. Transfer to serving bowls, topping liberally with fresh grated parmesan.