Chocolate-Dipped Chewy Granola Bars (Nut-Free)
These wholesome honey-sweetened cranberry granola bars are done in 30 minutes and don't have to be baked! Packed with whole grains and topped with dark chocolate, they're perfect for an on-the-go breakfast or snack.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 10 bars
- 1 cup flake cereal 50 g, like Special K, can also use rice puffs
- ¾ cup rolled oats 70 g
- ⅔ cup packed dried cranberries 125 g
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes 30 g
- ⅓ cup fine/medium grind bulgur 75 g, can also use quinoa
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds 30 g, pepitas
- ¼ cup sunflower seed kernels 30 g
- ½ cup honey 118 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bar dark chocolate 200 g
In a large bowl, combine cereal, oats, cranberries, coconut flakes, bulgur, and seeds.
Combine honey and vanilla in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium/high heat. Boil, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
Quickly stir hot honey into dry ingredients until well incorporated (you may need to use your hands!)
Line an 11x7 inch (28x17 cm) rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (or whatever sized dish you have!) Press granola mixture into pan, using the bottom of a clean cup to really pack it tightly. Set in refrigerator or freezer for 10 to 20 minutes to cool and harden.
Melt chocolate in microwave or using the double boiler method (I recommend the double boiler, less likely to burn it!*)
Get your granola and cut it into 8 (pretty big) to 12 (smaller) rectangles.
Transfer chocolate to a shallow dish or plate. Dip the granola bars so that the top is covered with chocolate and the bottom is naked. Set on parchment paper and refrigerate a few minutes to harden.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge.
- You can also break some into chunks to sprinkle over breakfast cereal or yogurt.
- *Double boiler method: Bring a small saucepan of water to a simmer. Place chocolate in a large metal or glass bowl, and set bowl over the simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir constantly until chocolate is melted (about 3 minutes).
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 40.2g | Protein: 5.3g | Fat: 10.8g | Sodium: 42mg | Fiber: 3.7g