Butternut Squash Orzo Salad
This vegan orzo recipe is laced with onions and kale, all tied together in a creamy butternut squash sauce. My go-to side dish that I know everyone at the table will love!
As it turns out, new knifes can be very sharp. And when the dangerous combination of a new knife, a stubborn butternut squash, and a sometimes-maybe-always-clumsy cook come together, finger near-fatalities occur. So yea, I had an introduction to Dutch healthcare in the form of an emergency room shortly after diving into this recipe last week.
But all is well now! I’ve got all my fingers + a big ole bandage + some smaller bandages, and I’m typing away with my seven scathe-free fingers as a high speed train zips me south to my parents’ home in Germany. Fortunately for the boyfriend-tulip-man, I made hoards of this creamy orzo before I left, so he’ll be having reheated orzo ALL WEEK!
The orzo itself is compliments of the boyfriend-tulip-man’s mama, the Dutch-tulip-mama, who always manages to slip us a tasty kitchen treat, whether it be extra virgin olive oil or Dutch stewed pears, when we visit for our weekly dinners.
I’d forgotten orzo even existed until she cooked it up one night. So now that I’ve remembered its existence, be prepared for more orzo. So much more orzo.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided, 30 mL
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 lb uncooked orzo aka risoni, 453 g
- 1 cup diced white onions 90 g
- 3 cloves garlic sliced or minced
- 4 cups finely chopped kale 360 g
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese 100 g
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Butternut: Peel, seed, and dice the butternut. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet, then add butternut. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until butternut is fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes. When finished, roughly mash half of the butternut, then remove it from pan and wipe clean.
- Orzo: Meanwhile, cook orzo according to the instructions on package, about 10 minutes. Strain, cover, and set aside.
- Saute: Heat remaining 1 Tbsp of oil over medium heat in your skillet. Add onion and garlic, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook until kale wilts and is soft, 5 minutes.
- Assemble: Stir together butternut, sautéed kale mixture, orzo, feta, salt, and pepper.