Indulge in the irresistible fusion of flavors with our Bruschetta Pizza, a perfect harmony of tangy bruschetta, gooey cheese, and fresh toppings that will transport your taste buds to pizza paradise!
Welcome to Reader Recipe week, a week where I feature a few of our reader’s favorite recipes!
We’re kicking things off with a pizza recipe from Anouk, a foodie from the Netherlands. I was instantly drawn to her recipe because of how simple and flavorful it was. It combines the best of both worlds, bringing together the classic flavors of bruschetta and the cheesy goodness of pizza.
The crispy pizza crust is topped with tangy marinara sauce, gooey shredded mozzarella, and crowned with a generous dollop of fresh bruschetta featuring diced tomatoes, fragrant basil, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. To add a touch of elegance, finish it off with creamy burrata cheese and a handful of peppery arugula. This pizza is a symphony of flavors that will have you coming back for seconds!
Ingredients for Bruschetta Pizza
You’ll find a lot of the usual suspects in this classic bruschetta pizza recipe.
- Pizza Dough: Provides the foundation for the pizza, yielding a crispy and chewy crust when baked. Here’s our best ever pizza dough recipe!
- Marinara Sauce: Adds a tangy and savory flavor base to the pizza, complementing the other ingredients. Here’s how to make your own marinara!
- Shredded Mozzarella: Melts beautifully, creating that classic gooey cheese pull and enhancing the pizza’s richness.
- Burrata Cheese: Adds a luxurious creaminess to the pizza, with a combination of a soft interior and a slightly firmer exterior.
- Arugula: Offers a peppery and fresh taste, balancing the richness of the cheese and adding a delightful texture.
- Tomatoes: Provide a vibrant and juicy element to the bruschetta topping, bringing a burst of flavor.
- Fresh Basil: Infuses the bruschetta with a delightful aroma and a touch of herbal freshness.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Enhances the flavors and brings a smooth richness to the bruschetta.
- Garlic: Adds a subtle, savory note and a hint of pungency to the bruschetta.
- Salt and Pepper: Elevate the overall taste by bringing out the flavors of the other ingredients.
While we love creamy burrata in this recipe, you could use buffalo mozzarella instead (it’s often easier to find).
How to make Bruschetta Pizza
Making this fresh tomato pizza recipe is stupid simple. Just bake the pizza, stir together the bruschetta, then assemble!
Step 1: Make Pizza
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Roll the dough out – for an added crunch on the bottom, sprinkle some cornmeal on the rolling surface before shaping the dough. Once the dough is prepared, spread a layer of marinara sauce evenly over it, ensuring each bite is infused with tangy tomato goodness. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella on top, allowing it to melt into a gooey, cheesy delight during baking.
Step 2: Make Bruschetta
While the pizza bakes, it’s time to prepare the fresh and vibrant bruschetta topping. Start by halving the tomatoes and gently scooping out the seeds, as they can make the bruschetta too watery. Finely dice the tomatoes and combine them with thinly sliced fresh basil, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Step 3: Assemble
Once the pizza is baked to perfection, it’s time to assemble all the delicious components. Dollop the homemade bruschetta over the hot pizza, allowing the flavors to mingle and marry. The juicy tomatoes, aromatic basil, and garlic-infused olive oil will infuse each bite with vibrant and enticing flavors.
To add a touch of freshness, top the bruschetta with a handful of peppery arugula, adding a pleasant crunch and a hint of bitterness. And finally, complete the masterpiece by adding chunks of creamy burrata cheese, which will melt slightly from the residual heat of the pizza, creating creamy pockets of indulgence.
Variations: Experiment with different variations of marinara sauce, such as adding herbs or spices, to personalize the flavor profile of your pizza. Customize the toppings to your preference by adding ingredients like sliced olives, roasted garlic, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for some heat. To add a touch of sweetness and acidity, drizzle a balsamic glaze or reduction over the finished pizza before serving.
Crispy Crust: To achieve a perfectly crisp bottom, preheat a baking stone or a pizza stone in the oven before placing the pizza on it. This helps to evenly distribute heat and create a crispy crust.
Storage: This pizza doesn’t store well once assembled, as the bruschetta topping will start to make the pizza soggy. Best enjoyed immediately!
Can I use a different type of cheese instead of burrata?
Absolutely! While burrata cheese adds a creamy and indulgent touch, you can use other types of cheese such as fresh mozzarella, shredded provolone, or even a combination of different cheeses based on your preference.
Can I use a different type of sauce instead of marinara?
Yes, you can use a different type of sauce instead of marinara. Try experimenting with Homemade Pesto, barbecue sauce, or even a white sauce like Alfredo for a unique and delicious twist.
Make it an Italian feast by serving this bruschetta pizza with:
- Panzanella Toscana, a classic and ancient Tuscan dish utilizing stale bread and fresh produce to create the most delicious, fresh, and filling salad!
- Parsley Salad, a vibrant salad that uses Italian parsley in place of lettuce.
- Basil Oil, perfect for dipping the pizza crust in!
- 1 pizza dough click for recipe
- ¼ to ½ cup marinara sauce 60 to 120 g
- 1 8-oz bag shredded mozzarella 226 g
- 1 ball burrata cheese
- 1 handful arugula 30 g
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh basil thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 30 mL
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- Make Pizza: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Roll the dough out (sprinkle cornmeal on the rolling surface for a crunchier bottom). Spread on sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bottom is crisp.
- Make Bruschetta: Meanwhile, half the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds. Finely dice the tomatoes and combine with remaining Bruschetta ingredients.
- Assemble: Dollop bruschetta over hot pizza, topping with arugula and chunks of burrata cheese. Serve immediately.