Treat yourself to copycat PF Chang’s Vegan Lettuce Wraps right in your own kitchen. Made with tofu, rice noodles, and oodles of sauces, these wraps are complete with sriracha mayo!
It’s always a good time for PF Changs. Even more so when you can recreate it right at home! Today we’re diving into (and devouring) this delicious copycat lettuce wrap recipe using totally vegetarian ingredients, complete with some A+ sauce recommendations!
To keep the plant-based action in full swing, we’ll be cooking up some firm tofu accompanied by onion, mushrooms, garlic, and loads of flavorings. You can also throw in rice noodles (which are so easy to make) for some delicious crunchiness.
For the wrap portion of the recipe, we’re skipping out on tortillas in favor of mouth watering butterhead lettuce. The large, buttery leaves are the perfect size for adding and holding filling.
Ingredients in these copycat lettuce wraps
Ready to dive into some juicy PF Chang’s wraps right in your own kitchen? Here’s everything you’ll need, complete with a boatload of sauces, because hello-ooo, that’s where the flavor comes in!
- Optional Crispy Rice Noodles: Optionally begin with 1 pack of rice noodles and ½ inch of oil for cooking them.
- Tofu: You will need 1 12-oz package of firm tofu, which we’ll crumble up into a tasty meat substitute.
- Flavor Makers: Onion, garlic, ginger, and green onions bring a punch of Asian-inspired flavor to the filling.
- Mushrooms: 1 8-oz package of mushrooms adds savory bulk to these wraps. Chop them into small pieces so they blend right in with the tofu.
- Water Chestnuts: Include 1 8-oz can of water chestnuts, either chopped or sliced. These add a fun crunch that I can’t get enough of!
- Sauce: For flavor, add 2 tablespoons each of soy sauce and hoisin sauce, and 1 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- Lettuce: All of this can be served in individual butterhead lettuce wraps! You will need about 16 leaves to accamodate this tasty, flavorful, plant-based filling.
How to make PF Chang’s Lettuce Wraps
It’s easy to have your favorite PF Chang’s dish right at home. And when I say easy, I mean it —I’m talking one dish, people! Start with the rice noodles (if that’s your jam), and then make the tofu filling.
Step 1: Optionally prepare the crispy rice noodles
To make crispy rice noodles as shown in the photos, heat about ½ an inch of oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop the noodles in the hot oil and cook for just a few seconds until they puff up. Remove from the oil and set on a paper towel. These add a fun texture and presentation (while taking almost no time to create)!
Step 2: Cook the tofu
Next, drain the tofu and wrap it in a few layers of paper towels. Squeeze the tofu to remove the excess moisture, and then use your hands to crumble it up. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high, and then add the tofu. Cook until it begins to turn golden on the edges, about 7-10 minutes.
Step 3: Add the vegetables
Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger to the pan. Cook until the mushrooms have released their moisture and it evaporates. The onion should be soft at that point, about 10 minutes.
Step 4: Flavor the ingredients
To add the flavor, add half of the green onions, water chestnuts, soy, hoisin, and rice vinegar. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 5: Assemble and serve
Spoon the filling into each butterhead lettuce leaf, topping with the remaining green onions and optional crispy rice noodles.
The best way to serve lettuce wraps
Isn’t almost every recipe made better with dipping sauce? This one is no different. I recommend serving it with your favorite, whether sriracha mayo (4 tablespoons mayo, 1 tablespoon sriracha, squeeze of lime) or the almond butter dipping sauce in this recipe!
Serve these wraps as a main course, or as a side dish in an Asian-inspired meal (like this Vegan Korean BBQ)!
More lettucey recipes
Need some more lettuce recipes in your life? Get back to the basics with veggie lettuce wraps, or go fancy with some green curry spring rolls!
- Fresh Veggie Lettuce Wraps
- Vegan Rainbow Spring Rolls
- Thai Green Curry Spring Rolls
- Grilled Romaine Salad
- Buffalo Collard Green Wraps
- Optional: rice noodles + oil
- 1 12-oz package firm tofu 340 g
- 1 Tbsp oil sesame oil is great here, 15 mL
- ½ cup diced white onion about ½ of an onion
- 1 8-oz package mushrooms roughly chopped, 226 g
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- ½ cup sliced green onions divided
- 1 8-oz can water chestnuts chopped or sliced, 226 g
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp hoisin sauce 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar 15 mL
- 16 butterhead lettuce leaves
- Optional Crispy Rice Noodles: To make crispy rice noodles as shown in photos, heat about ½ inch of oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Drop a single rice noodle into the oil. When it bubbles, the oil is hot enough. Working in batches, drop the noodles into the hot oil cooking for just a few seconds until they puff up. Remove from oil and set on a paper towel.
- Tofu: Drain tofu and wrap in a few layers of paper towels. Squeeze to remove excess moisture, then use your hands to crumble up the tofu. Heat oil in a large saute pan or wok over medium/high, then add the tofu. Cook until it begins to turn golden at the edges, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Veggies: Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger. Cook until mushrooms have released their moisture and it evaporates. Onion should be soft at that point, about 10 minutes.
- Flavor: Add half of the green onions, water chestnuts, soy, hoisin, and rice vinegar. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Serve: Spoon filling into each butterhead lettuce leaf, topping with remaining green onions and optional crispy rice noodles.
Leave a Comment