Vegan Tempeh Chili
This Vegan Tempeh Chili will warm your bones with delicious plant-based protein this winter (and in under 30 minutes!) With fresh veggies, beans, and a blend of spices, this is a simple chili that you would never believe is meatless.
*This recipe has been updated to be more clear (and delicious!) and bumped up to the top of our feed*
Have you ever had one of those foods that was never in your “culinary vocabulary”, so to speak, and then one day you discover it and your whole world changes? Like I remember back when I only knew ginger in the context of gingerbread. Then one day I learned about the so-good, hands-down magical ability of ginger to transform stir fries, and proceeded to cook ginger into every thing I ate until a golden ginger aura formed around me.
Well that same thing just happened with tempeh. Like just happened, guys. On our practice round of the 21 Day Vegetarian Reset, the tulip-man got pretty sick of tofu. Granted, he went from 0 to 100 t.m.p.h (tofu miles per hour) faster than you can say “Day 1 of the 21 Day Reset”, but I must admit, the original plan had a lot of tofu.
So I changed it up a bit. I set out on a great exploration in search of plant-based proteins, and I found the answer in tempeh! Like tofu, tempeh is made from soybeans. But these soybeans are whole (meaning tempeh is higher in protein, fiber, and nutrients) and fermented (giving it a really earthy, wholesome flavor). And if you grate it up and cook it up with beans, fresh veggies, and spices, you get a damn good, can’t-believe-it’s-vegan tempeh chili!
How do you make vegan chili?
This vegan Tempeh Chili is ridiculously easy, and goes something like this:
- Brown tempeh in a pot
- Add flavor makers, like onion and garlic
- Add the spices, beans, and tomato
- Cook until warm
Are you ready for the chili that’s about to warm up your whole winter?
Vegan Tempeh Chili
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- 1 8-oz package tempeh 226 g, roughly grated
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce 177 mL
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans 425 g, drained
- 1 15-oz can black beans 425 g, drained
- 1 cup water 240 mL
- 1 tsp each cumin and salt
- 1/4 tsp each chili powder and crushed red pepper flakes
- To serve: chopped green onions, plain Greek yogurt
- Brown Tempeh: Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large pot. Add tempeh and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. It’s okay if some of it sticks to the bottom of the pan. It will come off when you add the liquids.
- Add Flavor Makers: Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, continuing to cook until veggies are a bit soft, about 5 minutes.
- Cook Everything: Add the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium, and cook until warm and the flavors have blended, about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Top with green onions and serve.
Thanks so much for dropping by and for making easy vegan dishes like this Tempeh Chili recipe possible!
Hi, I’m Sarah!
Showing you how to make easy vegetarian recipes, one ingredient at a time. Read more