Roasted Leeks are a quick and easy way to enjoy crispy parmesan veggies! They make the perfect side dish that packs in flavor (while keeping it healthy). Here’s how to roast leeks to tender perfection in under 30 minutes.
I am all about the leeks lately. They’re a great veggie to eat in recipes (like Potato Leek Soup), but they also taste delish when eaten solo… especially if you’re roasting them!
Roasted leeks are the perfect way to crisp up your veggies and enjoy some perfect parmesan deliciousness. They’re savory, but hearty and refreshing at the same time. The classic leek recipe! Enjoy!
“Yum yum yum 🤤” —Annette
To roast leeks you’ll need
If you’ve ever made roasted asparagus, this is quite similar! We’ll be simply using olive oil, salt, pepper, and parmesan to coat and flavor each leek half.
- Leeks: First up, you need 4 medium sized leeks. This will create 4 hearty servings.
- Olive Oil: Next, 2 tablespoons of olive oil will be used to help bring the leeks to golden brown deliciousness in the oven.
- Salt and Pepper: I kept it simple with salt and pepper, but you could use whatever flavors you’re hungry for (like onion powder, garlic powder, or even Italian seasoning).
- Cheese: Finally, top with 1 tablespoon of shredded parmesan. You can omit or use an alternative version if vegan or dairy-free!
How to roast leeks
This baked leeks recipe is as easy as cut, clean, season, and bake! It’s a simple and quick way to have a delicious, cheesy dish ready to go at dinner time. It requires only 5 minutes of prep time and 25 minutes of bake time.
Step 1: Heat the oven
First, preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
Step 2: Prep the leeks
Remove the dark green portion of the leeks, then cut them in half lengthwise. You can cut off the longer roots but try to keep the main root bulb intact – this will help them stay together when you roast them. Rinse each half well under cool water to remove any dirt that may be lodged inside the leek.
Step 3: Add flavorings
To add flavor, start by placing the leeks cutside down in a large casserole dish. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, rubbing to evenly coat. You could also add any additional spices. or seasonings you might want at this point.
Step 4: Cook in the oven
Cover the pan with foil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the foil, flip the leeks cutside up, and sprinkle parmesan over them. Continue cooking uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the leeks are tender.
Step 5: Serve warm
Serve the leeks right away so they’re warm, optionally topping with lemon zest to brighten things up!
Sauces to enjoy with baked leeks
How to serve roasted leeks
Wondering about dishes to pair with leeks? Here are some of my favorite main courses!
- Mushroom Stroganoff
- Seitan Steak
- Butternut Squash Pasta
- Roasted Vegetable Grilled Cheese
- Pepper and Gorgonzola Risotto
P.S. Love leeks? You’ll love them in this Upside Down Leek Tart!
- 4 medium leeks
- 2 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese omit for vegan or dairy-free
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Cut: Remove the dark green portion of the leeks, then cut in half lengthwise (you can cut off the longer roots, but keep the main root bulb intact). Rinse each half well under cool water to remove any dirt that may be lodged inside the leek.
- Flavor: Place leeks cutside down in a large casserole dish. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, rubbing to evenly coat.
- Cook: Cover the pan with foil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the foil, flip leeks cutside up, and sprinkle parmesan over them. Continue cooking uncovered for 15 to 25 minutes, or until leeks are tender.
- Serve: Serve leeks warm, optionally topped with lemon zest or your favorite spices.