Looking for an easy, Asian-inspired taco recipe sure to please your tastebuds and leave your stomach feeling nice and full? These Kimchi Tempeh Tacos will do just that. They’re totally delicious and require just 20 minutes!
In my world, taco nights happen pretty frequently. I love the versatility of tacos and the fact that there are literally countless ways to prepare them! That’s probably why these kimchi tempeh tacos mark my ~10th taco recipe!
These tacos are quite different than those that I’ve made before, and I’m loving them! They’re Asian-inspired tacos that are full of intense, delicious flavors. The kimchi and tempeh combination is truly to die for.
If you’re unfamiliar, kimchi is an absolutely incredible dish made from fermented cabbage. I love to make it with garlic, pepper flakes, and ginger!
Whether it’s Taco Tuesday or another random day of the week, you must prepare these delicious Korean tacos.
“Holy cow this was so delicious! I decided to be more conscious about my meat consumption and this recipe made me not even miss the meat.” —Brittany
Ingredients for kimchi tempeh tacos
The ingredients for these tacos simply consist of shells, fillings, and the sauce! Be sure to reference my killer tempeh taco meat and kimchi recipes, too. Since the kimchi requires two days to ferment, you’ll need to have this ready ahead of time. (Trust me, it’s worth it.)
- Tempeh Taco Meat: We’ll be using tempeh as the main ingredient in our Korean tacos. This is my go-to taco “meat” recipe!
- Kimchi: Kimchi is simply fermented cabbage perfect for adding a flavorful zing to any recipe. We’ll be using it as a filling for our tacos!
- Avocado: All tacos are better with avocados! These tacos are made complete with 1-2 delicious slices.
- Cilantro: We’ll be using cilantro to add flavor to this dish.
- Tortillas or Shells: Choose either tortillas or hard shells. Either way, your tacos will be delicious! (You can also make your own flour or flavored tortillas!)
- Sour Cream: Sour cream will help give this taco sauce the perfect consistency. Feel free to substitute plain Greek yogurt for a healthier option.
- Mayonnaise: We’ll be using mayo to help bulk up the sauce. Not a mayo fan? Simply sub more sour cream or yogurt.
- Sriracha: To give this taco sauce lots of delicious flavor, sriracha is perfect!
- Lime Juice: Lime juice will tie the sauce together and provide a nice tangy taste.
How to make Asian-inspired tacos
These tacos are incredible, and not just because they only require 20 minutes to make. They’re absolutely delicious and are ready in just 4 simple steps!
- Prepare the taco meat: I use this vegan taco meat recipe for my tempeh taco “meat.” This part will require just 15 minutes!
- Prepare the fillings: Slice the avocados and chop the cilantro. I also recommend sautéing the kimchi for 5 minutes to slightly caramelize it. It’s so delicious that way!
- Mix the sauce: To prepare the sauce, simply stir all of the ingredients together until they’re well combined.
- Assemble the tacos: Spoon tempeh taco meat into each tortilla, topping with kimchi, avocado, cilantro, and sauce.
How to make vegan tempeh tacos
Tacos are a great, versatile dish that can be customized to fit any palate or preference. If you’re looking for a vegan version of these tacos, get excited. The recipe swaps are as easy as can be!
To transform this recipe into one that’s vegan-friendly and still absolutely delicious, we’ll need to look at two ingredients: sour cream and mayonnaise. All you have to do is swap them with your favorite dairy-free alternatives. You don’t have to make any extra mixtures or recipes; simply grab your favorite vegan options and you’ll be good to go!
I love recipes that can be made vegan with simple swaps that don’t require separate recipes. It makes everything so much easier!
Looking for more taco ideas?
Here are some Live Eat Learn favorites!
- Crispy Avocado Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Soyrizo Tacos with Adobo Crème
- Roasted Beet and Chickpea Tacos
- Corn and Pulled Mushroom Vegetarian Tacos
- Korean Eggplant Tacos
- Vegan Hibiscus Tacos
- ¼ cup sour cream can sub dairy-free alternative or Greek yogurt, 60 g
- ¼ cup mayonnaise can sub dairy-free alternative, 60 g
- 1 to 2 Tbsp sriracha 15 to 30 g
- 1 tsp lime juice 5 mL
- Tempeh: Prepare the Tempeh Taco "Meat" (15 minutes to make).
- Fillings: Prepare remaining fillings. Optionally saute kimchi for 5 minutes to slightly caramelize it. Slice avocado and chop cilantro.
- Sauce: Stir together all Sauce ingredients.
- Assemble: Spoon Tempeh Taco Meat into each tortilla, topping with kimchi, avocado, cilantro, and sauce.