Hawaiian POG Juice
This Hawaiian POG Juice tastes just like the passion fruit orange guava juice you get on the islands, but made at home in just minutes!
Sometimes the universe has your back. But before proving that it does, indeed, have your back, it’s going to totally pretend like it doesn’t. And for me, a food blogger, an existential crisis of this universal magnitude comes in the form of guava.
If you recall to a few days ago, I search San Antonio high and low for guavas with which to make Hawaiian POG (passion orange guava) juice, but to no avail. Accepting defeat, I made a scrumptious POM (passion orange mango) juice and moved on to bigger and better things. And as you can likely already deduce, I found guava. So. Much. Guava. Just sitting there in innumerable abundance, in all shapes and sizes.
All sizes…but one color. Yellow. Do you make POG juice with yellow guava. No. You make it with red. But by golly WE’RE MAKING POG WITH YELLOW GUAVA. Okay?!
How to make Hawaiian POG juice
In the POM juice we didn’t strain anything. All pulp all the way. But seeing as I spent all Saturday thrift shopping for kitchen goodies and now have a wire mesh colander, the juice we’re making today will be pulp and seed free!
To get the juice from the passion fruit, you just need to scoop the seeds of 4 fruits and run them through the blender with 2 cups of water for a few seconds. Strain it and you have juice.
As with the POM juice, we’ll fresh squeeze some oranges (2), then run the juice through the mesh colander to remove the pulp. Orange juice. Done.
Lastly the guava. Just like we did with the mangoes in the POM juice, we’re going to run these through the blender. I used the smallest, softest variety I could find (red is best). Chop off the hard bits on the end and throw the whole thing in. Add a splash of water (½ cup), and blend until smooth. Run that mixture through the mesh colander. Boom. Guava juice. Well guava paste, sort of.
Blend together the three juice and taste. Does it need some sweetness? Add sugar or Truvia, 1 Tbsp at a time (up to ¼ cup) until you reach the tastiness of your liking. Enjoy ice cold and on a beach (if possible).
Hawaiian POG Juice
- 4 passion fruits
- 2 cups water
- 2 large oranges or 1 cup juice
- 5 guavas red or pink if possible
- ½ cup water
- Up to ¼ cup sugar can sub honey
- Remove seeds from passion fruit. Mix with 2 cups water and quickly run through blender for about 3 seconds, just to separate seeds from juice. Strain seeds and fibers from juice with a wire mesh colander.
- Squeeze juice from oranges. Run juice through colander to remove pulp.
- Rinse blender to get out any remaining passion fruit seeds.
- Cut the hard ends off of the guavas then chop each into small chunks. Place in blender with ½ cup water and puree until smooth.
- Add passion fruit juice and orange juice to guava in the blender and blend for a few more seconds.
- Serve ice cold.