This Hawaiian POM juice is a delicious combination of passion fruit, orange, and mango juice, easily made with fresh fruit (no special equipment required!)
If you’re from Hawaii, or have ever been to Hawaii, you’re already thinking, “Wait…it’s POG not POM”. I KNOW. Passion orange guava juice is a delicious Hawaiian staple, and you’ll usually get your introduction to it on the plane ride over.
And you know who entirely based passion fruit week on the prospect of making the perfect POG juice? Me. And you know what city doesn’t have a single guava in any of its stores? San Antonio.
I raced all over town looking for some damn guava with which to make POG, and the fleeting thought of buying guava concentrate online even crossed my mind as the desperation set in. But because you’re likely neither from Hawaii nor willing to buy guava juice online, we’re just nixing the guava all together. We’ll make POG someday, but today we make POM. (Side note: I eventually found guava and made Hawaiian POG juice here.)
The passion fruit juice is a simple combination of passion fruit + water. I personally love the seeds in it. They’re like boba (except an insy bit crunchier). But i suppose you could strain them out. This juice alone is pretty sour (depending on how ripe the fruit is), but don’t worry about sweetening it until the end!
The orange juice is simple. I suppose you could just buy orange juice, but there’s a pretty noticeable difference compared to actually juicing a few oranges.
And the M? Mango! The incredible ability for mangoes to be turned into a mango juice via a quick run through the blender somehow went undiscovered during mango week. But it done been discovered now, and there’s no going back. It’s a rich, creamy, mango punch to the mouth.
- 4 passion fruits
- 2 cups water
- 3 large oranges or about 1 cup orange juice
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 2 Tbsp honey or sugar or to taste
- Scoop seeds from the passion fruits, gently peeling away the fibrous layer that may want to come out too.
- Mix passion fruit seeds with water. If any fibers slipped in they’ll float to the top. Just skim them out. (If you don’t want seeds in your juice, run water + seeds mixture in the blender for just a few seconds, then run mixture through a mesh sieve).
- Squeeze the juice from 3 oranges. Again, you can remove much of the pulp with a mesh sieve if you want.
- Peel and chop up the mangoes, then puree them in a blender until smooth.
- Mix the three juices together and taste. Is it perfect? Is it a bit sour? Add honey or sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, until you reach your desired sweetness.