Air fryer carrot fries are a quick and easy way to elevate your French fry game! In less than 20 minutes, you’ll have a crispy, tender, and mouthwatering side dish or snack. Once you try your first batch, you’ll never look at carrots the same way again.
Air fryer carrot fries
Air fryer carrot fries are just like regular fries, except brighter and healthier! Instead of deep-frying them the traditional way, the air fryer uses hot air to “fry” them.
This method is much quicker than the oven, and it allows you to use less oil. For more information on how to use an air fryer, check out our dedicated post!
Enjoy these vibrant orange fries as a nutritious snack, or serve them with your favorite mains. All you need is a few minutes and an appetite! If you want to learn more about carrots, visit our carrots 101 post!
Ingredients for Carrot Fries
You’ll just need a handful of ingredients for these easy air fryer carrot fries.
- Carrots: Regular ol’ carrots always do the trick! You can also try purple, yellow, and white carrots for a colorful twist!
- Seasonings: Use a classic garlic powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt combo, or choose your favorites! Think cracked black pepper, dried parsley, cumin, or even Parmesan cheese.
- Oil: My go to is olive oil for air fryer carrot fries, but any vegetable oil can be swapped in. Try avocado, sunflower, or canola oil.
Flavor It Up!
I kept it simple with the seasonings here, but you could make these carrot fries Mexican, curry, or even ranch flavored! Just sprinkle any of these savory seasonings on before air frying.
After trying out a bunch of different air fryers, this is my favorite!
How to air fry carrot fries
Step 1: Prep the carrots
Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 3-5 minutes. It’s not a necessity, but I find it helps evenly air fry the carrots. If your carrots are not looking so good on the outside, feel free to peel them.
I’m leaving them unpeeled because it’s easier (and more nutritious). If you opt for this, just make sure to give them a good wash and scrub! Cut the carrots into fry shapes, about ½-inch thick.
Step 2: Season the carrots
Transfer the carrot fries to a mixing bowl. Toss them with a spoonful of olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt. If you prefer other seasonings, add those in too!
Step 3: Air fry the carrot fries
Air fry the carrot fries in a single layer for about 20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking. Check them with a fork to make sure they are done. If not, air fry them for another couple of minutes.
What to serve with air fryer carrot fries
Treat your air fryer carrot fries just like regular French fries! I love to serve mine with a sprinkle of coarse sea salt and a side of ranch or ketchup, or take them to the next level with miso mayo or romesco sauce!
These carrot fries are easy to make, but a few quick tricks will take them to the next level.
- Use fresh carrots: For the best textures and flavors use fresh carrots. You want firm, smooth carrots without any cracks or blemishes.
- Cut evenly: To ensure a consistent cook, make sure your carrots are cut to the same thickness.
- Don’t overcrowd: With air fryers, it’s super important to cook food in a single layer without overcrowding the basket. This helps the air circulate, resulting in crispy and delicious carrot fries.
- Shake halfway: Don’t forget to shake the basket halfway through cooking. This helps the carrots cook evenly on both sides.
If you’ve made a big batch of air fryer carrots, just follow these simple storage tips:
- Fridge: Once cooled, store your carrots in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Keep them in the crisper drawer or in the coldest area of the fridge to preserve freshness.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing air-fried carrots since the texture and flavor will change too much once they’re thawed.
How to use air fryer carrot fries
Once you try these crispy air fryer carrot fries, you’ll want to start serving them with everything. My favorite is pairing them with a big, juicy burger like one of these:
Air fryer carrot fries FAQs
You don’t have to preheat the air fryer, but it’s best to heat it for 3-5 minutes before adding your carrots. This way, the carrots cook evenly and the times are more accurate.
Yes, you can cook other vegetables in the air fryer with the carrots, but you will want to ensure they have similar cooking times. Good options include cauliflower, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli.
Yes, you can reheat your carrot fries the next day in the air fryer again. Just cook them for 5-6 minutes at 350°F, flipping halfway.
- 1 lb carrots 453 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 30 mL
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat: Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (176°C) for 3-5 minutes. It’s not a necessity, but I find it helps evenly air fry the carrots.
- Cut: I’m leaving them unpeeled because it’s easier (and more nutritious). If you opt for this, just make sure to give them a good wash and scrub! Cut the carrots into fry shapes, about ½-inch thick.
- Season: Transfer the carrot fries to a mixing bowl. Toss them with a spoonful of olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, and sea salt. If you prefer other seasonings, add those in too!
- Cook: Air fry the carrot fries in a single layer for about 20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking. Check them with a fork to make sure they are done. If not, air fry them for another couple of minutes.