A flavor packed (and easy to make) vegan burrito bowl with tempeh taco meat and copycat Chipotle cauliflower rice!
Past Sarah is writing this as Present Sarah is sitting in a plane on her way back to Europe after what was (probably) three weeks of “offline” Chipotle-eating, Target-shopping deliciousness spent home in the states.
But the thing is, Past Sarah was in dire need of Chipotle and couldn’t wait for her semi-annual trip to America to gorge on the good stuff. So she created these plant-based burrito bowls (with Copycat Chipotle Cauliflower Rice) and has been itching to share them with you!
These vegan burrito bowls have two elements that I’m real excited about. You already know the first, the cauliflower rice! Seasoned with lime and cilantro, it’s a dead ringer for the rice from Chipotle (but with way less carbs).
The second very exciting filling? The tempeh taco meat! Ground tempeh has a similar texture to ground meat when cooked, and we’re not holding anything back with the spices we’re throwing in. Cumin and smoked paprika and chili powder galore!
Then of course there’s the adobo cream sauce, a simple combo of mayonnaise (plant-based or regular, your pick!), adobo sauce (from a jar of chipotle peppers), and lime. Throw it all in a bowl along with your favorite Tex Mex inspired veggies and you have yourself an ultra-filling, flavor packed plant-based burrito bowl!
Try serving these bowls with this Spanish Rice!
- Chipotle Copycat Cauliflower Rice click for recipe
- 1 15-oz can black beans drained, 425 g
- 1 15-oz can corn drained, 425 g
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups chopped lettuce 200 g
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
Tempeh Taco Meat
- 1 8-oz package tempeh 226 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp each salt, smoked paprika, chili powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste 45 g
- 2 Tbsp water 30 mL
- ¼ cup vegan or regular mayonnaise 60 g
- 1 tsp adobo sauce from a jar of chipotle peppers
- ¼ tsp lime juice
- Prep: Make Chipotle Copycat Cauliflower Rice (15 minutes). Prepare all Burrito Filling ingredients.
- Tempeh: Roughly grate tempeh. Heat oil over medium/high in a large saute pan. Add tempeh and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add spices, salt, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook another 5 minutes, then add the water and cook just until water has evaporated.
- Sauce: Stir together all Sauce ingredients.
- Serve: Evenly distribute lettuce and cauliflower rice into serving bowls, topping with veggies, beans, tempeh taco meat, and sauce.
Leave a Comment