This Healthy Slow Cooker Potato Soup is a lower calorie, vegetarian alternative (that doesn’t compromise on flavor one bit!) Loaded with smoky roasted chickpeas, Greek yogurt, and sharp cheddar.
Thank you Potatoes USA for sponsoring this post. Make a delicious and convenient meal for your family tonight with potatoes!
Potato soup has always been one of my favorite things to eat when someone else makes it. Not because I’m lazy or don’t know how to make it or what have you, but because I can’t bear to see what goes into it. Heavy cream, loads of salt…heavens to betsy no wonder it tastes so good!
But when Potatoes USA challenged me with making a potato recipe that’s convenient to prepare, I knew what I had to do… and so this Healthy Slow Cooker Potato Soup came to be!
Oh and did I mention that this potato soup recipe is so easy? You’ll just throw white potatoes (i.e. the culinary canvas of unlimited possibilities) into a slow cooker along with broth and seasonings.
Cook until the potatoes are softened and mix in a quick roux! I know, I said the recipe is slow cooker and you’re rolling your eyes in protest at the thought of making a roux, but I promise you won’t regret it.
How to make a roux for potato soup
You’re just going to melt a bit of butter on the stovetop and whisk in some flour. Whisk and cook until the flour is a bit toasted, whisk in a bit of vegetable broth, then we’ll mix that into our soup. This simple trick does wonders for the thick, creaminess of the soup (without having to add any cream!)
We’re playing on the classic flavors of traditional loaded potato soup today, so we’ll top it with smoky roasted chickpeas instead of bacon, and of course plenty of shredded cheddar and sliced green onions!
Finish with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and you have yourself a light and healthy potato soup that rivals the fat-filled traditional.
- 5 cups vegetable broth 1.2 L, divided
- 2 lbs white potatoes 900 g, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter 42 g
- 1/4 cup flour 32 g
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 100 g
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g, drained and pat dry
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce 15 mL, tamari for gf option
- 2 tsp sriracha 10 mL
- 1 tsp maple syrup 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Slow Cook: Add 4 cups of the broth, potato, and onion to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 (until potatoes are fork-tender).
- Chickpeas: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Gently combine all of the Roasted Chickpeas ingredients and spread onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly crispy.
- Make Roux: When potatoes are finished cooking, melt butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking often, until flour begins to tan slightly (about 5 minutes). Whisk in remaining 1 cup of broth. Whisk this mixture into the crockpot of potatoes to thicken it. Stir in cheddar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with roasted chickpeas, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, cheddar, and sliced green onions.
- Serve: Stir in cheddar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with roasted chickpeas, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, cheddar, and sliced green onions.
Thanks again to Potatoes USA for sponsoring this post and for making easy vegetarian dinner recipes like this Healthy Slow Cooker Potato Soup possible! I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.