Discover a vibrant assortment of vegetables that start with E, from nutrient-rich leafy greens to versatile root veggies!
So, you’re on the hunt for some veggies that start with the letter “E”.
Maybe it’s for a recipe that’s slipped your mind, or perhaps you’ve got a school project or a trivia night to ace. Or, maybe you’re just looking to amp up the variety in your meals. Well, your mom’s age-old advice about eating your veggies still holds true. After all, they’re packed with essential vitamins and minerals that your body craves. But hold onto your hats, because us nutritionists are now singing the rainbow tune.
Turns out, different colored veggies bring different nutritional superpowers to the table. We’re about to dive into a diverse array of “E” veggies to add some serious color to your plate. And if you’re hungry for more details on any of these, just scroll down for extra info and mouthwatering pics.
Why Go for Colorful Variety?
Veggies come in a rainbow of colors, and each hue packs a unique nutrient punch:
- Yellow and Orange: These vibrant buddies are loaded with beta-carotene, a nutrient that gets a superhero makeover in your body, transforming into Vitamin A. It’s like a power-up for your vision!
- Blue and Purple: Expect a potent dose of antioxidants from these cool-hued champs. They’re like the superheroes of the veggie world, fighting off harmful molecules in your body.
- Red and Green: These classics are Vitamin C troves, helping your immune system stay in top-notch shape. Plus, they’re a powerhouse of other essential nutrients.
- White: Don’t be fooled by their plain appearance. White veggies are secret fiber-rich wonders, doing wonders for your digestion.
The Great Veggie vs. Fruit Conundrum
Let’s clear up a little botanical confusion. A veggie, botanically speaking, is anything that isn’t part of a flower’s reproductive bit. Fruits, on the other hand, stem from mature ovaries, usually loaded with seeds.
This means some of our beloved veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, and peppers are technically fruits! But, since we don’t toss them into fruit salads, we’re rolling with the culinary definition here.
Know Your Veggie Categories
Before we jump into our lineup of “E” veggies, let’s get familiar with the veggie kingdoms they hail from.
- Root Vegetables: Think of these as the underground treasures. Carrots, potatoes, beets, and radishes are shining stars in this category.
- Leafy Greens: These are the nutrient powerhouses with tender, flavorful leaves. Spinach, kale, lettuce, and Swiss chard are top contenders.
- Cruciferous Wonders: With their distinctive cross-shaped flowers, veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and cabbage take the stage.
- Allium All-Stars: You’ll smell these coming from a mile away. Garlic, onions, leeks, and shallots bring their A-game to your dishes.
- Podded Champions: Enclosed in a pod or shell, these include peas, beans, and lentils. They’re like nature’s little surprises.
- Stem Vegetables: Edible parts? Stems and stalks! Asparagus and celery lead the pack in this category.
Vegetables that Start With “E”
This is a simple list of vegetables. It would be too long for us to include photos and information on their origin and how to use them. If you need more information on just about all of them, you can find it at the links below the list. Our “Types Of” links provide a wealth of information on specific veggies.
- Early Frame Cucumber
- Early Girl Tomato
- Early Pride Cucumber
- Egyptian Onion
- Elephant Garlic
- English Cucumber
- Enoki Mushroom
- Evergreen Tomato
Ways to Find a LOT More On These Veggies
We have a whole library on vegetables, and each of our guides includes Photos and Best Uses for each vegetable. And, if you also needed Fruits That Start with E, here it is.
Search by Color
- Green Vegetables
- Orange Vegetables
- Yellow Vegetables
- Purple Vegetables
- Red Vegetables
- White Vegetables
Search by Type
- Types of Beans
- Types of Cabbage
- Types of Corn
- Types of Cucumbers
- Types of Eggplant
- Types of Garlic
- Types of Herbs
- Types of Kale
- Types of Lettuce
- Types of Mushrooms
- Types of Onions
- Types of Peppers
- Types of Potatoes
- Types of Pumpkins
- Types of Squash
- Types of Sweet Potatoes
- Types of Tomatoes
That concludes our look at vegetables that begin with E. We hope you found what you are looking for here, and as always happy cooking!