Treat yourself to a rich and savory lunch with a Chickpea Tuna Melt. Made with only 5 ingredients, this is a simple dish that will satisfy your savory cravings, fill your belly, and fuel you through your day.
Growing up, tuna fish sandwiches were my favorite lunch. As I grew up, that love of tuna remained, transforming into a love of the leveled up version – tuna melts!
So obviously the second I hit on the perfect recipe for Chickpea Tuna Salad, I just had to put it into a melt.
Enter: the chickpea tuna melt. This sandwich is perfect for enjoying as a mid-day meal (or dinner) because it’s filling, satisfying, and delicious. It feels like a treat, but thanks to the ingredients, it’s actually healthy and filled with a lot of nutrients that will fuel you through the rest of your day.
This dish is customizable and can be made into a vegan meal by switching the cheddar and mayo with your favorite plant-based alternatives! Let’s cook.
Ingredients in this chickpea tuna melt
Simplicity wins when it comes to this chickpea melt! With just 5 ingredients, this sandwich will satisfy all of your cravings for something savory.
- Sourdough Bread: We’ll be using sourdough bread for this sandwich. It provides the best flavor and works so well with the tuna salad! Grab 4 slices so that you can make 2 sandwiches.
- Mayonnaise: Rather than grease the bread with butter, we’re using mayonnaise! It has a higher smoke point than butter, making your tuna melt golden brown and delicious.
- Chickpea Tuna Salad: Next up is the chickpea tuna salad, of which you’ll need ¼ to ½ cup. This is the key ingredient of the recipe, so it’s ok if you add a little extra! (Recipe here – 5 minutes to make).
- Tomato: For a juicy veggie, a couple tomato slices do the trick.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Add sharp cheddar cheese for that final touch. You can also use provolone if preferred.
How to make chickpea tuna melts
The beauty of sandwiches is that they’re so quick to make. Just prep and cut the ingredients, assemble, and brown on the stove! In total, you’ll only need about 10 to 15 minutes to make this chickpea dish.
- Prep the bread: Spread mayonnaise onto one side of each sourdough slice.
- Assemble the ingredients: Onto the other side of the bread, make one or two sandwiches by layering chickpea tuna salad, tomato, and cheddar cheese.
- Cook the sandwich: Cook over medium heat in a large skillet or panini press until the outsides are golden brown and the cheese has melted. Alternatively, set the oven to broil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
The benefits of chickpeas
They’re my favorite, and not just because they’re delicious. The truth is, chickpeas are so healthy and nutrient rich.
They’re filled with healthy carbs, fiber, phosphorus, manganese, and iron, and they’re a great source of protein for plant-based eaters! Chickpeas are also known for helping blood sugar and digestion, and their carb and protein combo help to keep you nice and full.
Basically what I’m saying is…this chickpea tuna melt is delicious and nutritious!
More chickpea recipes to try
Now that I’ve convinced you to include chickpeas in your meal lineup more regularly, here are some tasty dishes for you to try. And yes, I included a dessert (peep the blondies).
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise 15 g
- ¼ to ½ cups Chickpea Tuna Salad
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese can sub provolone
- Bread: Spread mayonnaise onto one side of each sourdough slice.
- Assemble: Onto the other side of the bread, make one or two sandwiches by layering Chickpea Tuna Salad, tomato, and cheddar cheese.
- Cook: Cook over medium heat in a large skillet or panini press until outsides are golden brown and cheese has melted. Alternatively, set the oven to broil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.