For the hot and spicy food lovers, this one’s for you. Here are our 23 favorite spicy vegetarian recipes, featuring your favorite spicy cuisines like Mexican, Indian, and Korean!
After living in the Netherlands for some time, where spicy Indonesian and Suriname food is everywhere, my tolerance to spice has skyrocketed. No meal really feels complete without a spicy element!
Some of my favorite ways to bring heat to food are:
- Crushed red pepper flakes: Just a pinch of these brings a surprising amount of spice! It’s great on pastas and tomato-based recipes.
- Sriracha: For any Asian-inspired recipe that needs spice, I usually reach for the the world’s favorite Thai hot sauce, sriracha.
- Adobo: If Mexican is on the menu, I grab the adobo. I always keep a jar of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the fridge, using either just the adobo sauce or a minced chipotle pepper to bring smoky heat.
- Cayenne pepper: Dried and ground cayenne is great for adding heat to things like roasted chickpeas, tofu, and cauliflower.
- Sliced jalapeño: You can never go wrong with throwing a few slices of jalapeño (or any type of pepper), either fresh or pickled, into your recipe! Leave the seeds in for extra spiciness, or take them out to tame the heat.
I’m not the kind to push the limits of spice (though we do love to watch other people do that), so these recipes aren’t necessarily spicy overload. They’re everyday kind of spicy foods that won’t wreck you, but will have you feeling warm! 🔥