Easy Kimchi Ramen Hack
This easy kimchi ramen hack takes a regular packet of instant ramen and transforms it into something that’s packed with veggies and lots of flavor. It’s a quick and easy instant ramen hack.
There’s something about a nice bowl of ramen that just cozies me right up. Maybe it’s the nostalgia of college days past, or maybe it’s just the familiar flavor that comes in each bite. Either way, a great bowl of ramen every once in a while is quite the treat.
Though I’ve enjoyed my fair share of instant ramen with nothing more than the seasoning, I quickly learned that ramen upgrades are the way to go. With a bit of extra ingredients, you can take a regular package of instant noodles and create a total ramen noodle makeover!
The value of a hearty, veggie-filled bowl of ramen is no new concept. If I was the only one that felt this way, ramen eateries wouldn’t be popping up in cities across the world! A quick Google search of “ramen New York City” yields countless results. Great ramen is everywhere!
With this easy kimchi instant ramen hack, you can make city-worthy ramen right in the comfort of your own home. Let’s dig in!
Ingredients needed for this kimchi ramen hack
Like many of those New York City ramen joints, today’s recipe will feature a ton of delicious ingredients like green onion, avocado, mushrooms, and lime juice. But, to truly make this ramen hack complete, this dish will include kimchi! I can’t wait for you to try it.
- Oil: We’ll be using oil to cook the mushrooms. Any relatively high heat oil will work here (olive, avocado, etc.).
- Button Mushrooms or Shiitake: I used button mushrooms in this ramen upgrade, though shiitake works too! Either option tastes great.
- Kimchi: Kimchi truly makes this ramen noodles makeover complete. I followed this kimchi recipe.
- Instant Noodles: As far as the noodles go, any single serving packet will work! For vegetarian-friendly ramen, sure to select a veggie flavored packet.
- Water: You’ll need a bit of water. Check your ramen package for the correct amount.
- Eggs: We’ll be using 1-2 eggs to add protein and flavor to this vegetarian ramen.
- Toppings: For toppings, I used avocado, sriracha, green onions, and lime juice! This is definitely an area where you can experiment.
How to create this ramen noodles makeover
This kimchi ramen hack is basically as easy as making any standard pasta dish! A bit of veggie prep and some noodle boiling is pretty much all that’s required. From start to finish, this recipe will take just 15 minutes!
- Prepare the mushrooms: First, heat oil in a medium pot over medium/high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they have released water (about 5 minutes).
- Add the kimchi: Next, add the kimchi and continue cooking and stirring until the kimchi and the mushrooms are slightly caramelized, about 3 minutes.
- Cook the ramen: Add water (use the amount listed on your ramen package) and half of the seasoning packet. Bring to a boil, then add ramen noodles. Cook about halfway (until noodles loosen), then slowly whisk in the eggs. Continue cooking until the ramen is fully cooked. Then, taste and add more of the seasoning packet as needed.
- Serve and enjoy: Optionally, top with sliced avocado, sriracha, chopped green onions, and a drizzle of fresh lime juice.
Tips for upgrading your instant ramen
There are a few valuable tips to keep in mind when making your ramen.
- Don’t salt the water: With standard pasta dishes, we were always taught to salt the water. For ramen, this isn’t the case! The seasonings will add their fair share of salt, making it important to boil your noodles without it.
- Don’t break the noodles: There’s something so satisfying about breaking up a fresh pack of ramen noodles. However, resist the urge! After about 3 minutes of boiling, the noodles will separate on their own.
- Cook to al dente: Ramen noodles should be cooked just right. Don’t undercook, and don’t overcook. Pay close attention as they cook, and immediately remove from the water once they’re al dente.
- Add extra veggies: You can always add extra veggies to your ramen! Popular options include spinach, bok choy, carrots, broccoli, and sprouts.
Can’t get enough of kimchi? Try these recipes!
If you enjoyed this easy kimchi ramen hack, you’re going to love these kimchi dishes too! Each one is unique and filled with delicious kimchi flavor.
Easy Kimchi Ramen Hack
- 1 tsp oil 5 mL
- ½ cup sliced button mushrooms can sub shiitake, 40 g
- ½ cup kimchi 75 g
- 1 single serving package veggie flavored instant noodles
- Water amount according to package instructions
- 1 to 2 eggs whisked
- Toppings: avocado, sriracha, green onions, lime juice
- Mushrooms: Heat oil in a medium pot over medium/high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they have released water, about 5 minutes.
- Kimchi: Add kimchi and continue cooking and stirring until kimchi and mushrooms are slightly caramelized, another 3 minutes.
- Ramen: Add water (use the amount listed on your ramen package) and half of the seasoning packet. Bring to a boil, then add ramen noodles. Cook about halfway (until noodles loosen), then slowly whisk in the eggs. Continue cooking until ramen is cooked. Taste and add more of the seasoning packet as needed.
- Serve: Optionally top with sliced avocado, sriracha, chopped green onions, and a drizzle of fresh lime juice.