This Roasted Chickpea Gyros recipe is an easy vegetarian dinner for feeding everyone on busy weeknights! And with over one hundred 5 stars reviews, it’s an all time reader favorite!
After discovering and subsequently eating far too many roasted chickpeas yesterday, I wanted to find a way to make these flavor bombs into an actual, sustainable meal.
And at this point, “meal” really means anything that doesn’t involve just eating a bowl full of roasted chickpeas. I suppose as I get closer and closer to moving and really begin whittling away at my pantry stock, I’ll have to become more lenient in what I consider a “meal”…but for now I can still justify buying some fresh veggies and flatbreads to make these vegetarian Roasted Chickpea Gyros!
“Absolutely loved this recipe. Was looking for healthy recipes for the whole family young and old and this was perfect.” —Gemma
Making these vegetarian gyros is really simple actually. Season and roast up some healthy chickpeas, throw together the World’s Best Tzatziki, and put it all on a pita with some lettuce, tomatoes, and red onions.
We won’t roast the chickpeas for quite as long today, just 20 minutes, until they’re cooked but not hard. This will give them a hearty texture, replacing any desire you may have had for putting meat into this vegetarian sandwich. We don’t need no meats up in here!
How do you roast chickpeas?
Drain the can of chickpeas and pat dry with paper towels. Toss with 1 tablespoon of oil per can of chickpeas, along with whatever spices you like (today we’re using gyro spices!) Then roast chickpeas at 400F (204C) for 20 minutes, until a bit crispy.
This large nonstick sheet pan is one of my everyday favorites!
Other Easy Vegetarian Dinner Ideas
We have hundred of easy vegetarian dinner ideas on Live Eat Learn. Here are a few of our favorites!
- 20 Minute Taco Soup
- Zucchini Pasta with Avocado Pesto
- Roasted Cauliflower Street Tacos
- Roasted Chickpea Stuffed Avocados
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g, 1 ½ cup soaked chickpeas if starting from dry, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp paprika*
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 pita flatbreads
- 1 cup tzatziki (click for recipe) 250 g, use ⅓ recipe if you’re just making it for these gyros
- ¼ red onion cut into strips
- 2 lettuce leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tomato sliced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Roast: Spread chickpeas onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned but not hard.
- Assemble: Spread some tzatziki onto one side of the pita, then sprinkle in ¼ of the chickpeas and add veggies. Fold in half and enjoy!