Learn how to make an omelette with this delicious, easy recipe. It requires only 5 minutes of prep time and is filled with the best omelette fixings: onion, pepper, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese!
I was going to call this one the Vegetarian Denver Omelette. That is, until I realized the only thing separating the Veggie Omelette from the Denver Omelette is the smoked ham. So really, it’s just a Veggie Omelette. Except for…
…the fact that this omelette was made in Denver. As in, I moved to Denver!
2020 (a.k.a. the year that shall not be named) was a year, friends, and ended with me making the move from the Netherlands, where I had called home for 5 years, back to the states (more gab on the move here). So to commemorate this new chapter in a new city…we omelette. We Denver Omelette.
Vegetable omelette ingredients
The ingredients in this basic omelette are…anything but basic. By using onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, not only do we have great flavor but we also have texture and crunch. I also like to throw in a dash of milk (or cream or sour cream) and butter for the creamiest omelette ever.
- Eggs: Start with 3 large eggs. This is going to give you one heaping omelette!
- Milk: Here you can use milk, cream, or sour cream. No matter which you choose, use 2 teaspoons.
- Butter: You’ll need 1 tablespoon of butter, divided. Half will be used for for sautéing the vegetables, and the other half for cooking the omelette.
- Mushrooms: First on the veggie list is ¼ cup of chopped mushrooms. You can use whatever variety you have on hand here (white or brown button mushrooms are easiest).
- White Onion: Next, finely chop 2 tablespoon of white onion.
- Peppers: Finally, you’ll want to finely chop 2 tablespoon (each!) of green and red bell pepper.
- Cheese: Gotta add cheese! I like to use shredded sharp cheddar for extra flavor.
- Salt & Pepper: Last but not least, add salt and pepper to taste.
How to make a veggie omelette
The perfect omelette does exist, and with this recipe it’s easy to achieve! Simply begin by beating your eggs and cream, chopping and sautéing the veggies, and then cooking the omelette.
With only 10 minutes of cook time, it’s ready faster than you can say “vegetarian Denver omelette!”
Step 1: Beat the eggs & dairy
First, whisk together the eggs and dairy until smooth. The egg yolks and whites should be completely mixed together.
Step 2: Prep the veggies
Melt half of the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and peppers. Cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the eggs
Next, add the remaining butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Reduce the heat to medium/low, and then pour the eggs over the veggies. Allow the bottom of the eggs to slightly set, 2 to 3 minutes.
With a spatula, gently push an edge of the egg up while tilting the pan to allow the liquidy egg on top to flow underneath. Repeat this around the edge of the pan until no liquid is left.
Step 4: Add the cheese
When the egg is almost done cooking, sprinkle on the cheese and allow it to melt.
Step 5: Fold the omelette
Fold the omelette in half or into thirds. To make it easier, slide half of the omelette out of the pan and halfway onto a plate, and then fold the remaining half over itself.
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Extra omelette tips
If you like thicker omelettes, simply use a smaller skillet. You can also achieve this by doubling up or using extra veggies!
Want to load up on cheesiness? Cheddar and pepper jack is always a delicious combo! Alternatively, you can use Swiss or mozzarella.
Pack in Protein
For a high protein omelette option, check out these Cottage Cheese Omelettes!
More yummy morning dishes
You know what they say… breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Here are some more morning meal options that will have you fueled and ready for the day ahead.
- Paleo Banana Pancakes
- Eggless French Toast
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Egg White Frittata
- Easy Leek Quiche
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp milk, cream, or sour cream 10 mL
- 1 Tbsp butter divided, 14 g
- ¼ cup chopped mushrooms 15 g
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped white onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar 28 G
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat: Whisk together the eggs and dairy until smooth (the egg yolks and whites should be completely mixed together).
- Veggies: Melt half of the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and peppers. Cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Egg: Add remaining butter to the pan and allow to melt. Reduce heat to medium/low, then pour eggs over the veggies. Allow bottom of eggs to slightly set, 2 to 3 minutes. With a spatula, gently push an edge of the egg up while tilting the pan to allow the liquidy egg on top to flow underneath. Repeat this around the edge of the pan until no liquid is left.
- Cheese: When the egg is almost done cooking, sprinkle on the cheese and allow it to melt.
- Fold: Fold the omelette in half or into thirds (Pro-tip: Slide half of the omelette out of the pan and halfway onto a plate, then fold the remaining half over itself). Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.