This watermelon pizza recipe will have everyone raving! It’s cool and refreshing and perfectly sweet (and comes together in 15 minutes).
So often, dessert pizza is an overly sweet cookie affair. I love my fair share of treats, but sometimes, especially when it’s hot out, I prefer something lightly sweet and simply refreshing.
This fruit pizza is just right! A cream cheese frosting helps the fruit toppings stay on when sliced and eating (plus, I mean, who can say no to cream cheese frosting?)
You can get creative with how you arrange everything on top. Slice your fruit in different ways to get it to form different pictures on your pizza. You could also slice the pizza first and then everyone can add their own toppings!
Ingredients for Watermelon Pizza Dessert
You get to pick your favorites here! These easy ingredients will be so refreshing for summer parties.
- Cream Cheese: This gives just the right tang for a not-too-sweet frosting. Soften your cream cheese on the counter or briefly in the microwave to help it whip up smoothly.
- Powdered Sugar: Whipping this into cream cheese is just the right level of sweetness and fluff.
- Watermelon: Pick a nice fat watermelon to give you the perfectly round pizza you are looking for.
- Fruit: Pick your favorites, or what’s in season, or what looks good!
It Doesn’t Have To Be Perfect!
I sliced my strawberries in triangles. If yours are small, you can stand them up on their stem end for a fun border. Get creative in how you prepare your fruit to top your dessert pizza, you can’t go wrong!
How to make Fruit Pizza
This fruit pizza is SO easy! The most complicated part is slicing a nice even round of watermelon, honestly. Make sure your knife is super sharp for the safest cut.
Step 1: Frosting
Use a hand mixer to really whip it up good! You can also do it by hand with a whisk if your cream cheese is super soft. Make sure not to leave any lumps.
Step 2: Watermelon
Cut a nice and even 1-inch slab of your roundest watermelon. Set it on your serving platter (or even just a cutting board!) and pat it dry with paper towels so your frosting will stick.
Step 3: Assemble
Spread your frosting or pipe it in fun designs. Then add fruit! It all depends on what sort of look you are going for. Make a geometric design or make fun scenes. Slice and serve (it’s helpful to wipe off the knife between cuts to keep each slice beautiful and crisp!).
tips & Tricks
Make-Ahead Wonder: This frosting actually stands up to storage, so you can feel free to make this earlier in the day and chill before your guests arrive.
Fresh and Ready: Look for in-season fruit in lots of colors to give your watermelon pizza lots of pizazz.
Perfectly Cut: You could even cut into wedges and make individual designs with your decoration. It’s also a fun DIY idea to have frosted slices ready for everyone to add their own favorite fruit toppings.
Take your party to the next level by whipping up a bunch of finger foods for everyone to share.
- Homemade Popcorn Seasoning will give you a fun party nosh next to your pizza.
- 1-2-3 Cheese Board is a great finger food option to make an all-snacks party.
- Oven Baked Apple Chips will give you a fun contrasting texture.
- 8 oz room temperature cream cheese can sub dairy-free, 226 g
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 round slice watermelon
- 2 cups sliced assorted fruit we used strawberries, peaches, pineapple, kiwi, and blueberries
- Frosting: Use an electric beater or whisk to beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Watermelon: Cut a watermelon width-wise into one or two 1-inch slabs. Pat the flesh of the melon as dry as possible with a paper towel.
- Assemble: Spread or pipe cream cheese onto the melon, then top with your sliced fresh fruit. Slice into 8 pieces and serve!