Use up your seasonal apples with Vegan Apple Crisp, a yummy blend of apples, brown sugar, rolled oats, and cinnamon. It’s the perfect treat for enjoying alongside cider and ice cream!
Does apple picking fall onto your list of to-dos each autumn? It’s sort of a way to say goodbye to the warmth of summer and to ring in the fresh fall season!
Well, apple picking is fun and all, but what on earth are you supposed to do with that huge bag of apples?
Well, before you toss your extras, I have a solution for you: vegan apple crisp. This dish is the perfect way to use up your apples, both tangy and sweet! It uses 6, and along with brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, and a few spices forms the best tasting apple crisp.
When paired with a spoonful of ice cream, this vegan apple crisp recipe is simply… heavenly.
Ingredients for vegan apple crisp
This dish consists of two parts: the apple layer and the crisp layer!
For the apple layer, we start with a blend of 6 apples: 3 tart, and 3 sweet. The combination of the flavors is key to achieving the perfect crisp. I like to use Granny Smith, McIntosh, or Pink Lady for the tart, and Honey Crisp, Fuji, or Ambrosia for the sweet.
Once the apples are prepped, we mix them with a blend of brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon. We’ll then add pinches of ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground ginger for flavor.
The crisp layer is even simpler. We start with a flour and rolled oats base, followed by an addition of brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and unsalted plant-based butter!
How to make this apple crisp
Apple crumble is a three-step recipe that begins with chopping your apples and then creating a yummy brown sugar and oats crumble. The entire dish takes only about 15 minutes of prep time.
When all is said and done, vegan apple crisp tastes best when served warm alongside a scoop of your favorite vanilla vegan ice cream!
Step 1: Prep the apples
First, preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Peel and quarter the apples, removing the tough core and seeds. Then, chop into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss the apples with the remaining “apple” ingredients.
Step 2: Create the crisp
In a separate bowl, stir the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt together. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter, 2 forks, or your fingers to work the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs.
Step 3: Assemble and bake
Finally, assemble and bake the dish for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbling. Serve warm, topped with your favorite plant-based ice cream.
To keep leftovers of this vegan apple crumble recipe, simply store it in a sealed container and keep refrigerated. It will soften over time, but can be enjoyed within 5 to 7 days.
Make ahead apple crisp
To make this dessert ahead of time, prepare the apple mixture and the oats mixture, storing them separately until ready to assemble and bake. Best if assembled within a day!
More delicious apple treats
Whether you’re in the mood for some more apple desserts (like a lollipop or galette), or you’re feeling an apple beverage (sangria, anyone?), here are some tasty recipes to try.
- Apple Pie Overnight Oats
- Apple Cinnamon Kombucha
- Candy Apple Lollipops
- Autumn Apple Sangria
- Easy Apple Galette with Salted Maple Caramel Drizzle
- 3 tart apples like Granny Smith, McIntosh, or Pink Lady
- 3 sweet apples like Honey Crisp, Fuji, or Ambrosia
- ½ cup brown sugar 100 g
- ¼ cup flour 30 g
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional: pinch of ground nutmeg, ground cloves, or ground ginger
- 1 cup flour 120 g
- 1 cup rolled oats aka old fashioned oats
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar 15 g
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted plant-based butter 115 g
- Apples: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Peel and quarter the apples, removing the tough core and seeds, Chop into bite-sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss apples together with remaining "Apple" ingredients.
- Crisp: In a separate bowl, stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut the butter into cubes, then add it to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter, 2 forks, or your fingers to work the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse pea-sized crumbs.
- Bake: Bake for 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and sides are bubbling. Serve warm, topped with your favorite plant-based ice cream.