Fill up on a healthy, satisfying, and nutrient-rich meal with these Mediterranean Romesco Bowls. From the avocado and white beans to the cucumber and bell peppers, this is a dish that hits all major food groups while supplying major flavor with a creamy Romesco Sauce!
Power bowls just took on a whole new meaning. If you’ve been around these Live Eat Learn lands for a while, you may have stumbled upon our Vegan Tempeh Bowl, Southern Grain Bowl, or maybe even our Green Goddess Sushi Bowl. In short, we love our bowls. Typically filled with all major food groups, these nutrient-packed bowls supply proteins, carbs, fats, and loads of greens. They make for a dense and satisfying meal, and they’re easy to prepare!
This Mediterranean Romesco Bowl no different! Filled with cauliflower rice, white beans, cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, and more, it’s a rainbow of veggies that are made complete with a thick and creamy Romesco Sauce. If you love Mediterranean food, this one’s for you.
These Mediterranean Romasco Bowls are one of the many plant-based recipes we’ll be enjoying during the 21 Day Vegetarian Reset. This reset is designed to help you enjoy more energy, reset your mind and body, and jumpstart your health! It kicks off on January 1st and will be a no sugar, no meat, no dairy program centered around helping you stop depending on sugar and convenient “filler” foods. One of the best parts is the elimination-style parameter — this is a great way to learn whether you have intolerances or sensitivities to certain foods! Are you in?!
Ingredients in this Mediterranean bowl recipe
To make this Mediterranean bowl we’ll create a thick and creamy sauce flavored with red bell peppers, lemon juice, and the best of all… almond butter! For the bowl itself, we will use a blend of veggies like cucumber, bell pepper, and cauliflower. We’ll top it off with some heartiness thanks to white beans and half of an avocado.
- Red Bell Pepper: The Romesco Sauce begins with 1 red bell pepper. Did you know red bell peppers are good for your eyes? They’re filled with “carotenoids,” which are good for the retinas!
- Cherry Tomatoes: Stock up on antioxidants with 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes.
- Olive Oil: Use ¼ cup of heart-healthy olive oil to add some texture and flavor to the sauce. A great addition to most sauces, olive oil is great for its subtle flavor and for it’s anti-inflammatory properties!
- Almond Butter: Now for the best part: almond butter! You will need 3 tablespoons. This adds a delicious flavor and helps to thicken up the sauce.
- Garlic: 1 clove of garlic is a must in this sauce! We’ll use it both for its flavor and for its blood pressure, cholesterol, and heart-supporting benefits.
- Lemon Juice: Add a dash of zesty flavor that benefits digestion with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice!
- Seasonings: Finally, finish off the sauce with ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Cauliflower: First up for the bowls, we’ll use ½ head of cauliflower. We’ll grate it up to use as “rice!” A healthy option, just 1 cup of healthy cauliflower contains only 25 calories, more than 75% of the RDI of Vitamin C, and even a little bit of fiber!
- Lemon Juice: Use another little bit of lemon juice in the bowl, this time in the amount of 1 teaspoon.
- Salt: Add a bit of flavor with ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Bell Pepper: Dice up ½ of a bell pepper (use your choice of color — I used orange!).
- Avocado: Slice up ½ of a delicious, ripe avocado. Did you know avocados are a good source of Vitamin B6?! They’re also one of the best sources of healthy fats. Eat up!
- Cucumber: Do the same with ½ of a cucumber. These support your hydration and blood sugar and provide antioxidants!
- Black Olives: For extra flavor, heart support, and cholesterol benefits, include ¼ cup of black olives.
- White Beans: Finally, add some extra protein with ½ cup of canned white beans. Drain and rinse before adding to the bowl.
How to make this Mediterranean bowl recipe
The only cooking required for this bowl involves roasting the peppers and tomatoes. After that, it’s all about prepping the veggies and sauce ingredients. Just dice, chop, slice, blend, and assemble!
- Roast the veggies: Halve and deseed the bell pepper and then roast facedown for 25 minutes. When ten minutes are left, add the tomatoes.
- Prep the cauliflower: Grate the cauliflower and microwave for 1 minute. Then, mix in the lemon juice and salt.
- Prep the fillings: Measure and prep all remaining bowl ingredients.
- Make the sauce: Blend the deskinned pepper, 1 cup of tomatoes, and the Romesco Sauce ingredients until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy: Add the ingreidents to the bowls and top with the remaining tomatoes and a drizzle of Romesco Sauce.
I love this recipe for all of the great flavors and because of how it makes me feel. Nutritious, veggie-stuffed meals just make me feel my best!
If you liked this recipe too, consider joining us for our 21 Day Vegetarian Reset! It’s a great opportunity to dive into some new and exciting recipes and learn how to fuel your body with healthy, plant-based ingredients. If you have questions, don’t worry! The program includes everything you need, like a meal schedule, over 55 recipes, weekly grocery lists, meal prep guides, and more!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- 3 Tbsp almond butter 45 g
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp lemon juice 10 mL
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 tsp lemon juice 5 mL
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ bell pepper diced
- ½ avocado sliced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- ¼ cup black olives
- ½ cup white beans from a can, drained
- Roast: Preheat oven to 450°F (232°C). Halve and deseed the red bell pepper. Place facedown on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes, until skin is a bit blackened. Add tomatoes to the sheet when there are 10 minutes left.
- Cauliflower: Using a box grater, grate cauliflower into "rice". Microwave for 1 minute, or until soft. Mix in lemon juice and salt.
- Prep Fillings: Measure and prep all remaining Bowl ingredients.
- Sauce: Peel skin from the roasted pepper and add the pepper to a food processor or blender with 1 cup of the roasted tomatoes and all other Romesco Sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Serve: Divide cauliflower rice and veggies evenly into serving bowls, topping with remaining 1 cup of roasted tomatoes and drizzling with Romesco Sauce.
Leave a Comment